Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Workflow Migration/Overwrite between different user

zzy98y
7 - Meteor

We want to use our Alteryx Server in a more fast-promoting and migration fashion. 

I want to achieve something like this: 

First we have all our workflows on a designated share drive location. Let's say I upload the initial version of the workflow to the server to my own studio. And I made this workflow public so my other team member can go there and run BAU.  Another team member made a change to this workflow today, what is the best way to promote this change to the server?  Can he save it to the server under the same name and make it public? Will it automatically merge under the same name and show up as the latest version? 

3 REPLIES 3
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @zzy98y ,

To update the workflow version, the user must open the workflow on Designer and save it back to the gallery using the save option. 

If the user uses the save as option or saves a workflow with the same name, it will create a new and duplicated workflow on the gallery.

The best option is to create a collection and add your workflows and developers/artisans there so everyone can access all the workflows from the Designer.

Best regards,

Fernando Vizcaino

zzy98y
7 - Meteor

@fmvizcaino  

The issue I have encountered is that, every time I have a workflow saved to the gallery, it's only saving a version of the workflow to the gallery, the next time I open this workflow from the same location, it does not showing that workflow is saved on the server. 

If I want different users to make changes to the same workflow on a shared drive, how does the designer/server know if this workflow is already on the server gallery? 

tristank
11 - Bolide

Hi @zzy98y 

If I am understanding your question correctly you need to open the workflow from Gallery itself in Designer if you want the version to be overwritten after you click save. I'm not sure if you can open it from the shared drive, save it, and expect to see changes in your Gallery. That said I am not an Ace lol so I am curious on what @fmvizcaino has to say

For more info on versioning, I just made a long post on macro deployment.

Here were some of the resources I linked in that post:

Compare Workflows Feature

Workflow Versioning in Gallery

Managing Workflow Versions

Choosing Which Workflow to Publish

A Deep Dive into Versioning

Alteryx vs Version Control, Code Repo/Git, R and Python code, Best Practices, Promote Code

Alteryx Workflow Version Control

Version Control Best Methods

Another Alteryx Workflow Version Control Post

Good luck and have a great week,

Tristan