Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Workflow Level Access

MoniqueiR
5 - Atom

I am working on having a report available to almost 50 people each in the same format but only showing the data that is relevant to that user. If the user do not have access to a certain piece of data then it should not be shown in the report.

I do NOT want to create 50 different collections of the same report for each users showing only their data. Is there another way to do this or something like this?

I could email out the reports but the excel is 25 pages long and would probably be too big for Alteryx to email.

ANY IDEAS?

6 REPLIES 6
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

If the report is an Excel one, the I think the email option will be the best,

The size shouldn't matter in relation to Alteryx, it will be related to the SMTP server that you use, and if you can email out one normally, it should be fine. As Alteryx will effectively send out 50 separate emails for you.

If you have Alteryx server available you can set it up as an Analytical app and limit the output based upon the user submitting the request, but in honesty I think the email option may be better.

Another option out there would to be to use Alteryx to push the data to a visualisation tool such as; Tableau, PowerBI or Qlik as they have ways to limit based upon user credentials. 

MoniqueiR
5 - Atom

I would like to limit the output based on the user submitting the request. But how do i do this?

I can create an app but how do i know who is submitting the request and what they can have access too? Everyone is divided into LDAP user groups.

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Are you using Alteryx Server? If so there is a thread here that should help you. Or you can actually get the workflow to run with the users permissions to the database, limiting the input tool. 

If you are using Apps run locally on individuals designers, you can use the environment variables to find the user, as detailed here.

MoniqueiR
5 - Atom

The application will be running in the Alteryx Gallery.

I was able to get the userid using a text input and a mangoDB input request. However there are so many users  that they are grouped into LDAP groups and these groups will only have access to certain piece of the data.

The complete data set is compile before hand and I would like the app to filter based on user access.

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Is there any indication in the data as to what the user would have access to?

MoniqueiR
5 - Atom

Yes, each row of data will have the name of the LDAP user group that has access to it.