Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Workaround importing not supported file format in Alteryx server (SAP DART)

Mike_RSM
5 - Atom

Hi,

I am looking for an solution / workaround which allows me to to import or process data from a not supported file format on a workflow which is published on alteryx server.

This issue can be avoided on local designer workflows by importing the data as .csv via input tool and skipping a couple of lines.

Unfortunately this is not an option for workflows published on the alteryx server, since the data input via interface tools prevents the user from importing a "not supported file format".

Did anyone face this issue before and (hopefully) figured a way to fix it?

Any ideas / suggestions how to solve this issue without requiring a local designer or the SAP API are appreciated.

Best regards

2 REPLIES 2
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hey @Mike_RSM  

I don't have much experience with the SAP APIs; but a way I have worked around this before is the Blob Input tool.

If you can drop the file you need on a network drive, use the Directory Input tool in the workflow to pull the files from that path.

In your workflow you'd have to use something like a text input that filters to get the correct file.

Then, use that full path on  the Blob Input, and convert the Blob to text (usually UTF-8 works, but you might have to test a few).

Mike_RSM
5 - Atom

Hi,

your suggested approach fixes my issue but it comes with a grain of salt - now I haveto play around with crosstab and text-to-column 😄

Thank you very much for your advice.