Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Where is the _externals path on Alteryx Server

ccagle
9 - Comet

So I've been trying to find an answer to this on the forums and cannot so far...

I have a render tool in an Alteryx app, which renders an output file to this exact path: 

_externals\3\detail.xlsx

Now, I'm wondering where I can find this on Alteryx server (is this in program files, program data, nested somewhere), and then I'm wondering if the server actually retains the file and if so for how long. I'm assuming this is a temp file that gets deleted or cleaned up on the server but I can't find this so I can't tell. 

Thanks in advance 

2 REPLIES 2
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ccagle The location is set by the alteryx system settings for "workspace":

Annotation 2019-10-21 152814.jpg

I believe you would have a unique folder in the xprocesscache folder when that app runs with a unique name. That folder would have your file for the duration of the run. Then Alteryx would save that file to the MongoDB as a blob as soon as the run is over and purge that folder immediately. The number of days retained in the MongoDB is specified by another alteryx system setting.

Hope that helps!

ccagle
9 - Comet

Thanks Patrick!