Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

What are steps when migrating to a new Windows Server

ianjohnston
8 - Asteroid

Good day Alteryx buddies

We are planning a migration to a new Windows Server (probably to Windows2012) and, of course, we'll need to do some flavour of re-install of AlteryxServer on the new Windows box. There are a couple of procedural questions I can't seem to work out / find a way to decide on : 

• should we do a fresh / up to date AlteryxServer installation or re-install the current installed version on the new Windows box?
  • is there a way to quickly / automatically migrate the workflows? (nb - there are <30 so doing this by hand wouldn't be a show-stopper)
  • if anyone has experience of doing this please could you share high level summary of the process and any sticky points you stumbled across?

I am guessing there might be a set of procedures somewhere (and hoping it is straightforward) so any advice and/ / or pointers would be super-brilliant.

Many thanks in advance

jonna

6 REPLIES 6
dougperez
12 - Quasar
ianjohnston
8 - Asteroid

hi @dougperez 

thanks for the pointer, looks comprehensive. I will give it a thorough going over today.

most appreciated

jonna

ianjohnston
8 - Asteroid

All / @dougperez 

Anyone happen to have suggested details on the path / option to take when doing the install / reinstall on the new server?

Most grateful,

jonna

dougperez
12 - Quasar

I would install a new version (new features etc), but depends of the company

ianjohnston
8 - Asteroid

thanks @dougperez  - any idea if this requires a temp second licence? 

dougperez
12 - Quasar

If you want the two servers running at the same time for a short period: Yes.
Try to contact one of the partner to see if they can "lend" you a licence just for the migration, after that you will need to deactivate the license and activate.
https://help.alteryx.com/product-activation-and-licensing/transfer-license-alteryx-designer?tocpath=...