Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

What are steps when migrating to a new Windows Server

ianjohnston
8 - Asteroid

Good day Alteryx buddies

We are planning a migration to a new Windows Server (probably to Windows2012) and, of course, we'll need to do some flavour of re-install of AlteryxServer on the new Windows box. There are a couple of procedural questions I can't seem to work out / find a way to decide on : 

• should we do a fresh / up to date AlteryxServer installation or re-install the current installed version on the new Windows box?
  • is there a way to quickly / automatically migrate the workflows? (nb - there are <30 so doing this by hand wouldn't be a show-stopper)
  • if anyone has experience of doing this please could you share high level summary of the process and any sticky points you stumbled across?

I am guessing there might be a set of procedures somewhere (and hoping it is straightforward) so any advice and/ / or pointers would be super-brilliant.

Many thanks in advance

jonna

6 REPLIES 6
dougperez
12 - Quasar
ianjohnston
8 - Asteroid

hi @dougperez 

thanks for the pointer, looks comprehensive. I will give it a thorough going over today.

most appreciated

jonna

ianjohnston
8 - Asteroid

All / @dougperez 

Anyone happen to have suggested details on the path / option to take when doing the install / reinstall on the new server?

Most grateful,

jonna

dougperez
12 - Quasar

I would install a new version (new features etc), but depends of the company

ianjohnston
8 - Asteroid

thanks @dougperez  - any idea if this requires a temp second licence? 

dougperez
12 - Quasar

If you want the two servers running at the same time for a short period: Yes.
Try to contact one of the partner to see if they can "lend" you a licence just for the migration, after that you will need to deactivate the license and activate.
https://help.alteryx.com/product-activation-and-licensing/transfer-license-alteryx-designer?tocpath=...