Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Using Mongo DB Backup

MattBenj
9 - Comet

My organization is setting up a UAT server so we can test for our upcoming upgrade from 21.2 to 21.3. I've run emongodump on our production gallery and moved it to our UAT environment. When I navigate to my emongodump folder in step 3 I get the "Settings Validation Error" posted below. Has anyone experienced this before? Should I select my mongodb_bkp_20220505 folder or do I need to browse to one of the sub folders?

MongoDB Backups | Alteryx Help

Use a MongoDB Backup

1. Open System Settings.
  2. Go to Controller > Persistence.
  3. In the Data Folder field, browse to the folder for the backup.
  4. Select Next to continue through the System Settings windows and restart the service. When the service starts it will run off the restored folder.

Error

MichMatt_2-1652363398327.png

mongodb_bkp_20220505 is the backup from emongodumo

MichMatt_1-1652363291963.png

10 REPLIES 10
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @MattBenj ,

You cannot use the backup directly. You will need to restore that backup with the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxService.exe" emongorestore=Z:\Path\MongoBackup,C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\Persistence\MongoDB

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Alteryx-Server-Backup-and-Recovery-Pa...

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

patrickmckenna88
7 - Meteor

hi @fmvizcaino 

Thanks for your response, I experienced the same issue.

However, I'm getting an error when trying to run the emongorestore command. It says "Access is Denied" 

I'm an admin of the server and of the Alteryx Server so not sure what the issue could be.

Thank you!

Patrick

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @patrickmckenna88 ,

My best bet is that you are not opening CMD as an admin. You have to always do that even when you are a server admin.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

patrickmckenna88
7 - Meteor

hi @fmvizcaino I just tried that again and got the same error, also got this pop up if that helps?

I'm trying to import a backup of a prod server into a new sandbox that I just set up if that helps too.

Thanks!

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My second best bet is that your AlteryxService is still running. 😅

I`m glad you mentioned that. You are doing a process called host recovery and you have to perform some other steps, especially the one to remove the MongoDB locks.

https://help.alteryx.com/20231/server/server-host-recovery-guide

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

patrickmckenna88
7 - Meteor

hi @fmvizcaino Thanks so much for that! I'm attempting to perform those steps now but have hit a snag at step 7. For reference, I'm trying to duplicate our production 2021.3 Server in the sandbox so that I can test our performing an upgrade to 2022.3. https://help.alteryx.com/20213/server/server-host-recovery-guide

I checked that the AlteryxService is stopped and am running the command prompts as an admin. This is the message:

C:\Users\AdminPM>"D:\Alteryx Sandbox\bin\AlteryxService.exe"setserversecret={...}
'"D:\Alteryx Sandbox\bin\AlteryxService.exe"setserversecret' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Instructions state:

1. Set the Controller token to the value from the original Server. 
    Note: Running this command will update the <StorageKeysEncrypted> value in the RuntimeSettings.xml file on the target machine. 
    Command: AlteryxService.exe setserversecret={ControllerTokenValue}

Not sure if it's an issue I should address now or once all the steps are complete, but I wasn't able to start the AlteryxService up again when I was trying to repeat the process.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Patrick

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @patrickmckenna88 ,

I believe you are missing a whitespace in the middle.

"D:\Alteryx Sandbox\bin\AlteryxService.exe" setserversecret={...}

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

patrickmckenna88
7 - Meteor

@fmvizcaino Ah thanks! Do you know if I'm supposed to receive some sort of confirmation message after hitting enter? This time it just started a new command line with no message.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Good question, I don`t remember. But if you haven`t got an error message, you are good.