Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Using Macros in the Gallery across several workflows

champybh
7 - Meteor

Hello all, 

My company is looking to scale up in our usage of Alteryx Server. One challenge of doing so is thinking about how we use Macros that are saved in the Gallery. Ideally, we would like to update a single macro and have that change be applied across a set of workflows that reference it. Has anyone worked through a similar use case - I'm willing to hear a variety of solutions. This is important becuase at a certain point it will become unmanageable to open up hundreds of workflows that could potentially reference a macro in order to update. 🤔

Thanks!  🍻

3 REPLIES 3
carlosteixeira
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @champybh how are you?

So, I suggest you take a look on this link

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Sharing-Macros-in-Alteryx-Designer-an...

I used sharing macros with some customers using the Shared Folder drive. I had good results using this technique.

Thanks

Carlos A Teixeira
champybh
7 - Meteor

thanks for your input @carlosteixeira - finally got around to reading your article and i think this solution could work for us. going to put it through its paces and see if we run into any problems. 

carlosteixeira
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Yes, @champybh  thanks for the answer. Yes, actually I recommend this way of sharing the macros across the company, another point I like to mention is that, generally, I leave the responsibility for updating the macros with the user and not with the curator or administrator of the environment. We have selected some key users who are responsible for making changes or updates to the macros.

It works well with some clients I've worked with as an environment administrator.

Best regards.

Carlos A Teixeira