Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Using Alteryx Server to Schedule a Workflow Locally

ALT_2358
9 - Comet

I know this isn't really what the server was built for but I'm having a hard time connecting my Excel files in SharePoint to Alteryx Server.

Is it possible to schedule my workflows to run locally, even if it means having to leave my computer running, using an Alteryx Server license (as opposed to a scheduler license)?

I did try to set up the controller to 'run the workflow from its original location' but it doesn't seem to work. It appears to get scheduled correctly but nothing happens at the scheduled times. I probably did something wrong or I just completely misunderstood the function of the controller.

Would really appreciate any insight!

4 REPLIES 4
hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

I've had luck with a sharepoint list but not excel

Legend has it you can sync sharepoint with onedrive then use the onedrive input tool. 

We use a sharepoint workflow tool called nintex to copy the sharepoint xlsx to a shared drive I read it from.

Really a pain in the behind

ALT_2358
9 - Comet

Yeah I heard about the Overdrive route but apparently the data gets stored on the gallery when you use the OneDrive tools which isn't really ideal. We only want the inputs and outputs to be stored within SharePoint or OneDrive. 

I've had success with SharePoint lists too except it's excruciatingly slow when writing tens of thousands of lines of data that can otherwise be written to Excel in just a couple of seconds. 

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Have you tried unchecking the OneDrive asset when you save to gallery so it doesn't get included in your package? It is behind the 'manage workflow assets' option after you select 'save to private gallery'

As I mentioned we are using NINTEX to export document from sharepoint that Alteryx can read.

I just found this about using powershell instead of NINTEX and plan to try.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/export-a-site-list-or-document-library

I will like this better if I can get it to work. 

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Did you have any success ?  I'm looking for alternatives.