Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Updating Connection Strings in Gallery & Scheduler DB Workflows

JeffSpilinek
7 - Meteor

We are disabling TLS 1.0/1.1 in our environments which causes any SQLOLEDB connections to fail, as it is not TLS 1.2 compliant.  Asking our users to manually open and update every workflow was not deemed acceptable.  A more automated solution is required.

On our workflows saved to disk, we can use a powershell script to swap out the SQLOLEDB connection for MSOLEDBSQL, Microsoft’s preferred OLE DB driver going forward.  We’ve tested this out and feel comfortable with this approach.

However, for workflows in the scheduler and Gallery, we’d like to see if there is an update in place method.  If those objects live in the local Mongo DB then I'd think this would be possible.  Again, having users make the change and re-upload to the database isn’t a good option.  Thoughts on this?  I've seen a previous post on this but it's 3+ years old.  

2 REPLIES 2
raychase
11 - Bolide

I assume you'll just be changing the name of the driver referenced in the connection string of the Gallery connections.  This should automatically be reflected when the workflows next run after the change is saved.

I've changed Gallery connection strings and names plenty of times, and they were effective immediately in scheduled workflows.

If you aren't using Gallery connections, then this is a great reason why you should start.

JeffSpilinek
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the reply.  That would be the ideal state, but unfortunately that's not where we are today.  The standards weren't set early on to use the gallery connections so the developers weren't using them.  I've been told they won't be given the time to make the changes over to the gallery connections, so we're left looking for quicker options.  Local workflows are easier, it's those in the scheduler db and gallery that we're running into a roadblock.  May have to bite the bullet and make manual updates, but for all the more often this happens it would be easier to make them in mass.