Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Update workflow to server will create a new object instead a new version

khu
8 - Asteroid

Hi, Community,

I have workflows and Apss published on Server, When I made some changes and saved, I noticed sometime Server will create a new object which I will see two workflows or two apps with same names showing on my private studio instead just new version to that , 

Do you have any ideas what's the best way to maintain and update the workflows&Apps on the server?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @khu,

I've seen this happen and every time it was because "Save As" was used. If you hit "Save As", another copy will be saved (same as it would be on your HDD), however if you just hit "Save", then a new version will be created.

khu
8 - Asteroid

The problem is if I save the App/Workflow directly, it only saves locally, there's no updates on the server.

Please advise

khu
8 - Asteroid

Hi, @KaneG

I think problem is when you close the workflow on your designer and then open it again, it lose the link to Server,

So if I close it, reopen it and modify it, then either you can save it locally or you need to save as to Server Gallery again as a new workflow.

Also, if save workflow to server, seems workflow changes didn't saved locally, which mean if next time I open this workflow again on my desktop, it just the workflow before changes, if I need a after-change version of workflow, I need to go to server and download it --So My another question is, if I want to save the changed workflow as well as on the server, what's the best practice?

Thanks

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

In order to save a new version of the workflow, you need to open the workflow from the Gallery. "File > Open Workflow > Gallery" and then select the workflow that you want to open. Then when you hit save it will save back to the gallery as a new version. If you open the workflow from your HDD, then Alteryx doesn't know which workflow on the gallery to relate it to.