Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Unable to use Python packages in Alteryx Gallery

deanthoms
6 - Meteoroid

deanthoms_0-1601394406990.png

I am experiencing an issue when trying to run an application that utilizes Python from the Alteryx Gallery. I have written custom Python scripts that I am using within the Python / Jupyter tool and these run successfully when I run them from Alteryx Designer (on the server). However, when I save the app to the Alteryx Gallery I receive the above error message. It seems like the Gallery cannot reference the Python modules that I downloaded.

Has anyone experienced this / know how to resolve?

I found a similar post here https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Install-Python-Module-in-Alteryx-Server/... which suggested it was a firewall issue; however, I do not know how to resolve the issue or what firewall this is referring to (Server configuration, AWS EC2 instance, etc.).

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Yes, the Gallery wouldn't be able to reference Python packages you downloaded.  Those are local to your machine.  

You'd have to get those loaded on the server as well before it could run.

deanthoms
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, Patrick. This wasn't actually the issue in my case. The packages actually were loaded to the server and not on my local machine. 

I was able to work with Matthew Paden from Alteryx to resolve the issue (thanks Matthew!). The primary issue was that the Alteryx Gallery was using different "Run As" settings than the server; therefore, the app would work correctly on the server, but when loaded to the gallery, the default user did not have the correct permissions to access the folders containing the Python Packages. 

Below is how we solved for this issue:

1) Updated Credentials settings in the Alteryx Gallery from "Use Default Credentials" to "Allow Users to Select Credential Options"

2) Utilized one of the Alteryx Server admin accounts from the machine running the Alteryx Server (let's call this 'AccountX')

3) Ensured that 'AccountX' had full permissions on all folders on the machine running the Alteryx Server (in my case this was the local drive and the shared drive that hosts our Alteryx environment). I leveraged the following community article to ensure I took the appropriate steps: https://help.alteryx.com/current/server/set-required-run-user-permissions

4) Added this account to the available "Credentials" and shared these new credentials with applicable Gallery accounts: https://help.alteryx.com/20194/server/credentials

Alternatively, this issue could have been resolved my changing the default "Run As..." settings from the Alteryx Server Configuration. However, this would have ran every app on the sever as the account specified by the settings, which would have limited other functionality we use.

Hope this explanation helps other users solve for their "permissioning" issues!

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@deanthoms  Excellent write up!