Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Unable to translate alias error while scheduling on alteryx server

Nadir
6 - Meteoroid

Hi ,

I am scheduling packaged workflow containing connection to oracle database. I am getting "Unable to translate alias" error when packaged workbook runs on schedule.

I don't have admin rights on the server and I cannot change anything on server, It is working fine when I execute manually .please let me know a solution for the same

9 REPLIES 9
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Nadir

When you say "execute manually" do you mean execute on your local machine or execute on scheduler?

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Nadir,

When other users have encountered this problem, the solution involved the DSN settings (database connection configuration). It is important that in the Microsoft ODBC Administrator, all DSNs are configured at the system level and not the user level. Also be sure to match these settings to those on the worker machine that will be executing the workflow. 

Relevant:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Connect-Gallery/Unable-to-Translate-Alias-when-Publishing-A...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Manage-Data-Connections-Alteryx-11-0/ta-p/45...

Nadir
6 - Meteoroid

I mean running through Alteryx designer 

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Nadir

It sounds like your server doesn't have that odbc connection set up on it.

Are you using the Gallery or Scheduler?

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

santosh_kandregula
6 - Meteoroid

Hey @Nadir,

When you are scheduling the package from the designer using Options->Schedule Workflow,  Its still being scheduled on the server that you selected. The connection name should be set up on the server and should be the same as the one you are using.

You might have to work with your Alteryx Server Administrator to set up the connection.

Another thing that i have noticed is that sometimes you may have to actually run the workflow from Server's Alteryx Designer for the first time.

- Santosh

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi Nadir,

You may want to reach out to your admin to find out if they are using "Run As". This could also be an issue where the aliases being used are "User" aliases, if you can you may want to switch them to ask your Admin to switch them to "System" with a service account for the database. The problem could just be the alias/driver doesn't exist on the server, but if its running manually I would assume this is not the case.

amit5182
6 - Meteoroid

Hello All,

I am facing the exact same issue. I have done some digging around but no luck. Here is what I have done.

Develop a workflow and publish it using my windows AD account with "RunAs" option set to Service account (which we setup in gallery).

1. When I grant my user name access to data connection in gallery, workflow runs fine via scheduler in gallery

2. When I grant Service Account access to data connection in gallery, workflow fails with "Cannot translate Alias" error

3. But when I run the same workflow from gallery manually, it runs fine either way.

This is a urgent issue and any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Amit

jstewart
7 - Meteor

Amit, 

I am having this same problem and do not see any suggested fixes in the thread. Did you get this fixed? I would like to know what you did. 

Cheers, 

Jack

Laney
7 - Meteor

I was able to resolve the issue with running workflows using the desktop scheduler.    This does require that you have administrator privileges on your machine.

* Your connection to the database has to be created in Alteryx when you run Altery as Administrator. Right-click on the Alteryx icon then click "Run as Administrator".  

* Open your workflow and click on the Input Data tool.  Then press the dropdown arrow to select the connection.

* Select 'Save Connections" 

* Create a new connection by clicking "Manage Saved Connections" and then add a new connection (top right)

* When you create the new connection name it so you will know that is a system connection versus a user connection. Example: TDProd_Sys

One you change your workflow to use the new connection you should not have any issues.