Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Unable to Translate Alias

thomas_wong
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I have three different servers for the Controller, Worker, and Gallery in a cluster.

I am trying to use the Simba Hive and Impala ODBC Drivers distributed by Alteryx.

I created a data connection on the Gallery. I created a system alias on the Worker Node. I configured the ODBC Drivers on the Worker node to point to the Cloudera server. They all have the same alias.

I am able to run the workflow using the gallery data connection on my local machine Desktop Client. I am able to run the workflow using the gallery data connection on the Worker node.

However, I am unable to save my workflow to the gallery due to "Unable to translate alias impala". It will only work if I include the asset in manage workflow assets, but there should be a way to not have the connection embedded if the Worker node knows where to go, correct?

I'm sorry if this has been answered. I looked around and I believe I did what most people said to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @thomas_wong

What do you have the "Run as" for the worker?

Does that user have access to the system DSN?

If you have left it blank it will be running under the local system account of that server, which may be the issue?

thomas_wong
6 - Meteoroid

We created an application account which we added to the Administrators group for local users and groups using computer management.

In addition, we set the Alteryx Service to log on using that same account.

Lastly, in the server configurations we are having the Worker run as the same account.

Not sure if that user has access to the System DSN. I'm guessing it does because it is an administrator.

CameronS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @thomas_wong,

Just to confirm what @JoeS is getting at, could you log into the worker machine as the service account and try running the workflow through the designer?   If that does not work, it would point to some permissions issues with the service account. 

-Cameron

thomas_wong
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, the workflow runs on the worker node in the designer client. Once I try to upload to the gallery, the connection can not be translated.

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Just to be clear, when you have remote onto the server, are you logging in as your user account, or are you logging in as yourself? It needs to be the prior as that would be what is happening when its trying to run the workflow.

If that's is the case, and you are still having an issue, it may be best to reach out to support@alteryx.com to arrange a call in order to debug.

Thanks

Joe

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @thomas_wong - the data connection is intended to be packaged with the workflow when you upload it to the gallery. There are two things at work here:

1. Translating aka:YOUR_ALIAS into a connection string/DSN

2. Running the connection string/DSN

Technical part: step 1 requires some xml to translate the 'aka' into a mongo_id, which then is used to look in mongo for the actual connection string. That xml for the translation is actually what you are packaging in the asset. If it's not packaged, it can't translate. Keep in mind that the alias on the Gallery is different from the System alias, and the xml to translate those is stored in 2 separate locations, so they don't actually 'talk' to each other.

tldr; packaging the asset is the way to go. By default, the asset it already checked, so hopefully it's not to time-consuming.

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.