Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Trouble loading large .rds matrix into Alteryx

creily
8 - Asteroid

I have a large data matrix that I created in R that is 5.6GB. I want to load it into Alteryx for further transformation and analysis. I am having trouble loading and writing it to Alteryx. Here is the script I have tried using in the R tool, and the outcome:

----------------------

memory.limit()

memory.limit(60000)

dat <- as.data.frame(readRDS("~file.rds"))

write.Alteryx(dat, 1)

-------------------------

After 3.5 minutes, I get this error message: "The R.exe exit code (4294967295) indicated an error."

If I run this code to test if it can read the matrix:

----------------------

memory.limit()

memory.limit(60000)

readRDS("~file.rds")

-----------------------------------

I see it read the matrix and outputs some of the data. It just seems to be a problem when I try and assign the data somewhere.

2 REPLIES 2
MichaelF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @creily

This could be related to the "fake" R error listed here -

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/R-tool-Fake-Errors/td-p/25163

Another possibility, however, is that the connection between R and Alteryx is timing out. When writing out to Alteryx, are you able to write a portion of the data? (you may try something small like 1 record, and if it works, increase the size). If this is the case, there is a defect in place for this type of behavior. (you may still want to follow the above thread to get rid of the error if this is occurring)

As a workaround, I would suggest trying to write it out to Alteryx in batches to multiple outputs (or multiple R Tools if need be)

Cheers,

Mike

creily
8 - Asteroid

I was using the most recent Alteryx, and what ended up fixing the problem was uninstalling and reinstalling the previous version.