Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Too many posts were made to a semaphore

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I have two workflows -- BD Data Trade and FileUpload.  The BD Data Trade workflow creates a bunch of Excel files and saves them to a shared drive.  The FileUpload takes those files and uploads them to a Microsoft File Share site.  The workflows work fine on my desktop.  I need them to run from Gallery on a schedule.  To make that happen, I have added an Event to BD Data Trade to "After Run Without Errors" run the FIleUpload workflow.  I keep getting the error: Too many posts were made to a semaphore.  

I have tried configuring/saving FileUpload to both a) a folder in our shared drive that Alteryx server has access to, as well as the folder location specified in Alteryx server  in the system settings, control, persistance.  

Error running Event #2: The external program "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" returned an error code: 1: Too many posts were made to a semaphore. (298).

I've also considered trying to create a bat file but the community links to posts on how to do this are broken.    I have also tried chaining apps, but that doesn't work with the scheduler.  I just want the completion of one workflow to trigger another workflow.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @FreeRangeDingo ,

A suggestion is for you to use the runner and the conditional runner from the great @MarqueeCrew. These tools give you the ability to run workflow after another. 

Download the macro package: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

More about both tools: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2014/09/blog-macro-pack-2014-q3-release.html

A workaround also is for you to pack your second workflow inside a batch macro and to put it last in your first workflow.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I wound up using a runner to start the main workflow and then a conditional runner to kick off the second one.  I was never able to get the event to run the second workflow via command line.