Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Size-controlled List Boxes, or multi-select Drop Downs in Alteryx Gallery?

Peachyco
11 - Bolide

I am planning to launch an app onto our company Gallery.

1. The user has a lot of fields to select from. They don't have to select from each field, but that option must be available to them. For example, they don't have to pick a specific Color, but the Color field must be there.
  2. Each field can have multiple values. Some fields can have a lot of values (20+).
  3. The user can select multiple values from any field. For example, they can select "L" and "XL" from Size, and just "Red" from Color (although they can still select multiple Colors if they wanted).

Given the points above, I chose to go with List Boxes because they allowed multiple selections.

• The interface looked fine in the Designer because the List Boxes there truncate themselves (i.e. they limit their size, and offer scroll bars if they contain too many values).
  • Also, in the Designer, the tabs can be used to organize the options so they don't have to show up in a single screen.
  • But on the Gallery, the List Boxes resize to show all of the values they contain. This means that my app now stretches vertically by a great deal, and the user has to do a lot of vertical scrolling to get thru all of the fields/menus.
  • Also on the Gallery, the tabs don't work as intended. They do not act like tabs, and instead act just like HTML in-page bookmarks/links.

My questions are:

• Is there a method for restricting the display dimensions of List Boxes on the Gallery? Like, can I restrict them to show only 5 values at a time (so the user must scroll down if there are more than 5 values in that List Box)?
  • Alternatively, is there a method for allowing multiple selections on Drop Downs? This is actually my preferred tool in terms of interface design because it uses only one "slice/row" in the interface while still allowing the user to see all of the possible values on demand.

Thanks a lot for the help. 😊

0 REPLIES 0