Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Showing intermediate results of the chained apps in server

danial_j
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I have 3 chained apps. I want user to see results of the first app before the second gets executed and results of the second app before 3rd gets executed. How can I do this?

Checking the box "On success - Show results to the user" in interface designer properties does not work and the app simply jumps quickly to the next app and asks for the user inputs.  

The idea of showing all the results after the execution of final app does not seem to be the solution of my case.

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
ChristopherT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi there,

I wanted to reach out from Alteryx Support to see if I can provide further assistance for your question. I'd like to get a little more information to help troubleshoot this further for you and if you'd like you can email support@alteryx.com and I'd be happy to communicate with you directly via email or even set up a Webex screen share to look into this further with you. 

First, are you trying to view the results of each leg of the chained app in Designer or when you've uploaded the workflow to the Gallery? Next, can you provide a little more information on why you are wanting to see results before the entire chained app is complete? Is it to verify the information before going to the next app? Any information on this will help us see what is the best approach for you and your workflow. 

Feel free to reply here or email support@alteryx.com directly and I can associate the open support case your post has created already with that email and we can work on this via email or Webex in the future. 

Thank you! 

danial_j
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ChristopherT, Thank you for getting back to me.

So I am trying to view the results of each leg of the chained app in gallery. And correct, I want to see results to verify data before it goes to the next app. Our users want to peek into before the data goes to the next app.

What I tried is that I am using a ListBox tool as an alternative at he beginning of mid app but it only shows the column headers and not the data inside those fields. Your help will be great.

ChristopherT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi there,

Thank you for the clarification. Looking into this further for you I found an Idea that had been submitted to Alteryx for this to be a product update in the future - does this sound like what you are looking to do with your chained app?

Let me know if this idea is similar to what you are trying to achieve. 

Thank you,

Christopher

danial_j
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for posting the link. I get an access denied error when I try to open this link. However, the title seems to address the similar problem though. When this is expected to be implemented?

ChristopherT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Danial,

I apologize this idea appears to have been available to anyone at one point however the access was changed - it seems to be the same request you have for mid workflow checks in the Gallery regarding a chained app's output. The status as of now is "Under Review" and there is no timetable yet for implementation. You can post your idea here as well: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/idb-p/server-ideas which would be the public forum for this which would allow other users to give your idea a Thumbs Up and give our product and development team a chance to review this again as well. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to help. 

Thank you,

Christopher

chineeloh
8 - Asteroid

Will this idea be implemented? True self-service analytics should give the flexibility of consumers (who may be non-Alteryx users) to be able to run analytical apps and view the state of data at every stage. We can do this in Designer, but not Server. Rather strange?

Imagine I have 6 apps, and I am only able to see the final results at Step 6, making the intermediate results at Steps 1,2,3,4,5 being very “black boxy”. From a data quality check / sense check / audit-ability point of view, this isn’t acceptable and we can’t really scale the true potential of Alteryx to the masses.

@KylieF could this be reinstated as a potential idea? Saw an idea post somewhere regarding this, but that was way back in 2013 with no further updates.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi @chineeloh !

I cannot move this discussion over to the idea board as it would create a disconnect between the posting styles. However, ideas on the idea boards aren't restricted from reaching our product team due to age, so if we see enough interest in an idea it can be brought back into the feedback loop. So my recommendation would be to share that idea with those you think would be interest and spark activity on the idea again to help get this feature reviewed by product.

@KylieFdo you know if this was implemented or if we have some workaround? Thanks.

atraver
5 - Atom

I have this same need, has anyone found a way to do it?