Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Sharefile access

msmith6986
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Does anyone have a solution for manipulating files in Sharefile when running a workflow through the scheduler?

Citrix has windows app that installs a drive letter (S:) on my windows machine and allows access to Sharefile through windows explorer.

When using a simple Directory tool to read the contents of a folder, I am able to read files in this folder when I manually run the workflow (by hitting the "Run" button).

However, when I try to run this workflow via scheduler, it does not have access to the "S:" folder.

I have had this issue in the past with network locations, and the workaround was to use UNC paths.  However, there is no UNC path for this Sharefile drive letter.  It is a virtual drive letter and I don't know how / if there is a UNC path that can be used to reference this Sharefile.

The scheduler service is configured to use my same user and permissions as my normal windows user, so I am not sure why I can't access via schedule but it works when manually run.

If anyone has any ideas that would be really great.

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
cassidyclemmer
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi there!

Sounds like you understand the workings of UNC paths vs mapped drives.  To clarify, have you navigated to Options > Advanced Options > Workflow Dependencies and clicked the "All UNC" button?  If so, does this work or throw an error?  If you are seeing an error, can you please post it here?  You can find more on Workflow Dependencies here.

Thanks!

msmith6986
7 - Meteor

The error I get is "Invalid Directory "S:\path to my files\*.*: The system cannot find the path specified (3)"

I tried clicking the "All UNC" button as you suggested.  I didn't notice any changes to my directory tools.  Like I said in my original post, there is no UNC path that I am aware of for the Sharefile plugin, although I am not sure how the plugin works, so I am not sure where/how to find a UNC path that corresponds to the drive letter mapped by the plugin.

cassidyclemmer
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @msmith6986,

When the scheduler runs, it uses the system user to run the workflow and so if that system user does not have permission to see a network drive, that will cause an error. Generally, if there is any network connections, you will have to set the 'Run As' on the worker in System Settings. Could this be the cause of the error?

msmith6986
7 - Meteor

Hi @cassidyclemmer,

Unfortunately, that is not it.  I have the "Run As" user set to my network user id.  Still get same errors.  I even stopped the Alteryx services, changed the logon to my network user id, and same errors.  This happens when I attempt to access ANY network drive.  When running via the scheduler, I have never been able to successfully access files on any network drives.  I am forced to always use UNC paths only.  And for the Citrix sharefile app, it is some sort of virtual drive letter, and I do not see a UNC path.