Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Setting Up ETL Process on Gallery

The_Dev_Kev_Env
9 - Comet

Normally when implementing ETL solutions with Alteryx, I tend to stay away from the Gallery, but I'd like to leverage the gallery as a maintenance/monitoring resource. The two big issues I am facing that I hope someone can help out with are:

• Triggering workflows off success of other workflows
    • The only option I can imagine is changing a flag in the first workflow output that workflow 2 will be monitoring every few minutes before it triggers off the second workflow
    • Thought about using Runner workflows / Run Command tools but as far as I know those are disabled in the gallery
    • Tried to make them apps, but it seemed like when I scheduled the app to run as opposed to running it manually in the gallery, the subsequent chained workflows did not run
  • Publishing to the gallery
    • What is the best enterprise way to publish to the gallery?
    • I've taken a look at the API options available and I do not see any methods to push a workflow to a different environment

Any help is appreciated !

Best,

devKev

2 REPLIES 2
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

When you say Alteryx Gallery, are you referring to gallery.alteryx.com? Or to a server that is specific to your organization?

This is important because you can enable Runner Workflows/Run Command within Alteryx Server if you own it yourself.
I think that a combination of Runner/Conditional Runner could potentially get you where you need to go in terms of multiple workflows being run.  You could leverage a database table/file in order to make this schedule configurable without redeploying your code.

With regard to enterprise Gallery publishing, features are currently somewhat lacking.  I have an Idea posted to add some options for publishing workflows via an API call or some coded/automated deployment method.

If you could star this post it would be greatly appreciated!
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Add-a-method-for-scripted-deploys-to-the-Alte...

Our organization has leveraged our deployment of Alteryx Server by using a self-created .bat file template which leverages the AlteryxEngineCMD on server to execute jobs.  As I recall, there are options to add workflows to queue in Gallery via Command line as well - this could potentially provide some value for you.

If you need some pointers on diving into any of this, I'm happy to try and help where I can.

The_Dev_Kev_Env
9 - Comet

Hi Claje,

Thanks for the response! I am indeed using a Private gallery so you are right, I can in fact use the runners/ run command. The issue there is that I still need to provide those types of tools the location of the workflow I want to run. Do you have more insight into where these files are actually stored when you publish the workflow to the gallery? Are they in the same location and I could leverage relative paths? 

Right, most of the ETL environments I have deployed have either been built around .bat commands triggered on a scheduling software or simply alteryx scheduler (neither involving the Gallery). May have to resort back to that

Best,

Kevin