Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Setting Up ETL Process on Gallery

The_Dev_Kev_Env
9 - Comet

Normally when implementing ETL solutions with Alteryx, I tend to stay away from the Gallery, but I'd like to leverage the gallery as a maintenance/monitoring resource. The two big issues I am facing that I hope someone can help out with are:

• Triggering workflows off success of other workflows
    • The only option I can imagine is changing a flag in the first workflow output that workflow 2 will be monitoring every few minutes before it triggers off the second workflow
    • Thought about using Runner workflows / Run Command tools but as far as I know those are disabled in the gallery
    • Tried to make them apps, but it seemed like when I scheduled the app to run as opposed to running it manually in the gallery, the subsequent chained workflows did not run
  • Publishing to the gallery
    • What is the best enterprise way to publish to the gallery?
    • I've taken a look at the API options available and I do not see any methods to push a workflow to a different environment

Any help is appreciated !

Best,

devKev

2 REPLIES 2
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

When you say Alteryx Gallery, are you referring to gallery.alteryx.com? Or to a server that is specific to your organization?

This is important because you can enable Runner Workflows/Run Command within Alteryx Server if you own it yourself.
I think that a combination of Runner/Conditional Runner could potentially get you where you need to go in terms of multiple workflows being run.  You could leverage a database table/file in order to make this schedule configurable without redeploying your code.

With regard to enterprise Gallery publishing, features are currently somewhat lacking.  I have an Idea posted to add some options for publishing workflows via an API call or some coded/automated deployment method.

If you could star this post it would be greatly appreciated!
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Add-a-method-for-scripted-deploys-to-the-Alte...

Our organization has leveraged our deployment of Alteryx Server by using a self-created .bat file template which leverages the AlteryxEngineCMD on server to execute jobs.  As I recall, there are options to add workflows to queue in Gallery via Command line as well - this could potentially provide some value for you.

If you need some pointers on diving into any of this, I'm happy to try and help where I can.

The_Dev_Kev_Env
9 - Comet

Hi Claje,

Thanks for the response! I am indeed using a Private gallery so you are right, I can in fact use the runners/ run command. The issue there is that I still need to provide those types of tools the location of the workflow I want to run. Do you have more insight into where these files are actually stored when you publish the workflow to the gallery? Are they in the same location and I could leverage relative paths? 

Right, most of the ETL environments I have deployed have either been built around .bat commands triggered on a scheduling software or simply alteryx scheduler (neither involving the Gallery). May have to resort back to that

Best,

Kevin