Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Service started and then stopped

claudiogadient
5 - Atom

Hi,

I currently face an issue with starting the Alteryx Server Service.

When i try to start the Service i get the message "The Alteryx Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

Before this i did the update from Alteryx Server v.2020.4 to the latest v2022.1.

A restart of the Server also have been done and i also re-run the installation to check, if there was something wrong during the first time.

I'm able to run te Alteryx Designer on the local machine and also the Alteryx System Settings can be run without any issue. In addition, the license is active and valid.

on C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service in the "LastStartupError" i have the following message:

Failed to register Service URL (183).
Please contact your Systems Administrator to ensure that port 80 is unused and open for inbound connections,
and verify that the Alteryx Service is not already running on this system.

On the Alteryx System Settings on "Base Address and Web API Address" the checkbox for "Enable SSL" is active. So why is the system trying to use Port 80?

4 REPLIES 4
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @claudiogadient ,

In your base address URL, you need to use HTTPS.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

claudiogadient
5 - Atom

Dear @fmvizcaino ,
Thank you for your message. I checked the base address URL and they are with https. I didn't change them in the settings and on v2020.4 the server was running correct.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @claudiogadient ,

I'm not aware of that error, it seems more related to the port itself than any other thing. But it is worth mentioning that before an upgrade with mongoDB schema upgrades, it is very important to run the pre-upgrade check to eliminate any issues that could cause the service to not start.

Pre-upgrade check: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Alteryx-Server-Pre-Upgrade-Checks/ta-...

MongoDB schema per version: https://help.alteryx.com/20221/server/mongodb-schema-reference

Please use the Pre-upgrade app and check if you have any issues, and follow the steps at the bottom of that page if you find anything and let me know.

Do you remember seeing and doing a MongoDB migration checkbox in the installer pop-up?

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

claudiogadient
5 - Atom

Hi @fmvizcaino ,
thank you for your last message. I tried to run the Pre-Upgrade check but as I already did the update and the server was not running anymore, the pre-update check did stop with some messages regarding not running server.
I then tried some things and run the update again (multiple times the last days) as I was searching for the option to set the install-directory but did not find it. So the new Server was installed on another directory and this also caused some issues as the firewall rule was set to the old directory.
At the end, the Server was up and running and I can't really tell what was the final "change" that solved the issue.
I'll keep an eye on this for the next update.

Best regards,
Claudio