Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Server upgrade

paul_houghton
12 - Quasar

During the upgrade to Alteryx 11 does the Mongo DB get upgraded to a new version?

We have had a situation where the install had to be reversed and are getting the error:

From event viewer I have this error: Error - Failed to construct Gallery daemon process, process exited code <0>
From Gallery Log I find this error: Database version 18 is newer than the code version 15. Please upgrade Alteryx cloud.

If this is the case what is the process for rolling back? Create a clean install and restore the DB from the backup?

7 REPLIES 7
KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@paul_houghton The version of the embedded MongoDB hasn't changed with the 11.0 release and is still version 3.0.4. However, there are significant changes to the internal database structure. Because of these changes the the internal database version was updated, and is not compatible with prior versions. As such in order to roll back to an older version you will need to uninstall version 11, remove the current MongoDB, install the older version you want to use, and then restore the database from a backup made prior to the 11.0 update. If a backup isn't available prior to the update your only options would be to start over, or continue using 11.0.

Can you provide some feedback on why the roll back is needed?

mbane1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Kevin,

I did a terrible mistake while upgrading the Alteryx Server 10.6 to Alteryx 11.0

Instead of upgrading the Alteryx server10.6 to 11, I upgraded the Alteryx designer(Version 11, 64 bit) on the VMWARE where Alteryx server is loaded.

But I assumed if I have configure the Alteryx -System settings with embedded MongoDB, I will be able to connect to Database without any loss of data.

But the result - Altyeryx Service has stopped and unable to start again!

Can I revert back to the previous version of the Server? Am I gonna lose data?

KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@mbane1 This actually happens more than you would think. The good news is you should be able to just install the server version, and everything should be fine. During the installation of server it will remove the current Designer installation and reinstall server including Designer. Once completed the service should come back up and connect to your database and start Gallery as if nothing changed. If it doesn't come back up properly send and email to support and we will be happy to assist you in troubleshooting.

mbane1
6 - Meteoroid

Can I install Alteryx Server 10.6, since there are some designer settings which I should not change now?

KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@mbane1 You can try to, but the upgrade to 11 may have migrated part of the database in order to support some of the new features. If so you may run into issues with 10.6 and it may refuse to start properly. You would be better served by installing version 11 of server. Did you backup the database prior to the upgrade. If so you can install 10.6 and restore that database backup.

mbane1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much for your help. It worked.

mbane1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Kevin,

I need to schedule a workflow on Alteryx Server that need to hit Teradata 15 as an input source.

I am able to run the workflow successfully on Server. But it fails when scheduled on the same server.

"Error SQLDriverConnect:[Teradata][odbc Teradata Driver][Teradata Database] The UserId, Password or Account invalid"

Reference:

The Teradata odbc has loaded the following in System Variables path:

C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\15.10\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\Client\15.10\bin;
C:\Program Files\Teradata\client\14.10\Teradata Parallel Transporter\bin64;
C:\Program Files\Teradata\client\14.10\Teradata Parallel Transporter\msg64;
C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\14.10\pp2_64\;
C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\14.10\bin64\;
C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\14.10\AXSMOD\;
C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\14.10\bin;

-It had Teradata14, it loaded Teradata 15 when upgraded.

Can you please provide any fix?