Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Server logs do not include download tool

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

I have published a workflow that includes two post requests via the download tool. They are working but the logs do not validate the tools are being run. 

My default mode is set to unrestricted. My assumption is that since the Download Tool is on the "potentially naughty" list that it's not been fully supported in server development. 

Is that the case? If so, use of this tool and this rationale could come up in some tough convos with IT folks. It really should be visible in the logs! 

9 REPLIES 9
davidhenington
10 - Fireball

to clarify, i'm talking about the gallery logs. 

bharti_dalal
10 - Fireball

Hi @davidhenington ,

The following Alteryx Designer tools and events are prohibited in the Analytics Gallery due to the numerous possible configurations and the actions that can be performed:

• Run Command Tool
  • Email Tool
  • Run Command Event
  • Send Email Event
  • R Tool
  • Download Tool

If you have a workflow that uses one of the prohibited tools in a safe manner, you are able to apply for an exemption and have a Curator review your workflow so that it can be run in the Analytics Gallery.

To apply for an exemption please follow the steps below:

1. Email curator@alteryx.com and explain how and why each prohibited tool is used, along with the general purpose of the workflow
  2. Publish the workflow in your private studio and check the box "Others may download this app."
  3. Add the workflow to a Collection and share it with Alteryx Curator, curator@alteryx.com.

Allow up to 2 business days for your workflow to be reviewed and an Alteryx Curator to email you the status of your workflow.

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

hi @bharti_dalal thanks for responding. 

Unfortunately your response is not applicable. I am not talking about the public Alteryx Gallery. I am talking about my company's Server Gallery. 

The issue of these tools being classified differently and needing special clearance on the Public Gallery, being conflated with questions around private Galleries, is a source of confusion. Let's please be sure what we're referring to as Server topics in general can be challenging. 

With that being said, the fact that these tools are classified differently may have something to do with the lack of their appearance in our Gallery logs. Getting back to my original post, with Private Company Galleries, in which these tools can be used without issue by artisans whose default mode is set to unrestricted, it simply does not make sense to "hide" the log entries.

Again, is that what's going on? 

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

BUMP

LOL is "bumping" a thing on Community? 

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

BUMP

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @davidhenington ,

I can look into this for you. Can you clarify a bit on what you would ideally like to see in the log?  You could use a message tool to write out more results from the download tool but it sounds like you may be looking for the actual call? 

Edit:  I see you have an open case with support

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
davidhenington
10 - Fireball

Hi @JessicaS thanks so much for the reply. The case is not related to this. 

Simply seeing the results summarized in some fashion would be incredibly helpful. 

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks @davidhenington ,

Do you need to see the actual call being made or the results of the download tool such as the response?

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
davidhenington
10 - Fireball

since the response can be read via an output, just the call itself occuring would be sufficient I think.