Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Server Version upgrade from 2018 to 2020

kamanivk
8 - Asteroid

Our current Server Version is 2018(production) and planning to upgrade to 2020.

We would like to first upgrade our Dev Server to 2020 and then upgrade production server.

Users, Groups and some other Server security and configuration are different between servers.

Is there a recommended security model in Server 2020 to be followed?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @kamanivk 

Can you elaborate on what you mean by security model? Are you referring to the authentication methods? 

The most important things you need to pay attention to going for any of the 2018 versions to 2020 version is that you need to properly update your mongo db. 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
kamanivk
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the update. @joshuaburkhow 

I am trying to find how to setup users.

For Gallery Authentication

Integrated Windows authentication: Allows users to access the Gallery with internal network credentials,

How to set it up? Should I create a security group in AD and assign users to it?

How to specify Alteryx to synch users from that security group?

Thank you.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @kamanivk 

Here are a couple resources for you to make sure you understand how it works and what it can do. 

https://help.alteryx.com/connect/current/Administration/WindowsAuthentication.htm

https://help.alteryx.com/server/2018.4/admin/Administration/Users.htm

I also think you 'can' use groups but there is not a need to manage that. If you connect to windows auth then Alteryx server can handle that. If you want to provide more controls you can set the default permissions to no access and then have the user request to elevate access or you can create the user group and when they request you add them in. 

Most deployments I have seen set users to view or artisans by default. 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

We recently upgraded from 2019 to 2020. Our user security did not change.  You will need to repoint to the new Mongo location. This is a very important step, that was not outlined in the wizard.