Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Scheduling a Workflow from an App

johnd2202
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I have searched high and low, but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I want to provide the end user the ability to schedule a workflow to run on a specific date and time from another Alteryx app. My idea is to use interface tools to provide them with a date/time input for them so they can choose when another workflow will run without having to hassle with the actual scheduler UI. I understand that the gallery has an API I could call using the command line tool, but the only thing I have seen is that it runs the called workflow instantly. I can't seem to find any documentation on utilizing the gallery API for actually scheduling a workflow, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, we have a license for the server and have a live server environment, so that could be an option as well.

3 REPLIES 3
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @johnd2202,

Unfortunately, I don't believe that there is a way to create a new schedule outside of Alteryx's current options for scheduling. I also looked at the AlteryxService.exe CLI to see if there were any commands to add to a schedule, but it's essentially the same as the API; you can add a job to the schedulers queue, but it would be set up as a one-time run.

If I may also suggest, submit the idea in the Product Ideas section for consideration on a future release.

Kind regards,

Jimmy

johnd2202
7 - Meteor

My apologies for this being almost a month late, but I appreciate your response. I created a work around which is not ideal, but it will do. I simply separated the workflows within the app in to two different options using the buttons that disable containers. The end user will run the original when needed, then set themselves a reminder to run the second one a few hours later. This is something that should be available and I have sent that to the ideas section.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Out of curiosity, could you do something like a chained app that runs a process which sits in the queue and waits a specified period of time?

This might not be a valid approach due to performance reasons - since it would eat a process on the Gallery for an extended period of time.

This second app could then call the "scheduled" execution after the fact.