Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Scheduled workflow becomes disabled when I move to a different private studio

JohnBell
8 - Asteroid

What would be the best practice around this...

Sometimes, I need to investigate others' workflows and therefore, I put myself in their private studios...but when I do that, my workflow schedules become disabled since those were created by me in my own private studio.

Is there a way around this?

TIA...

9 REPLIES 9
dataMack
12 - Quasar

Based on the 'On the roadmap' response from Alteryx to this Server idea (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/Transfer-Gallery-to-Other-Users/idi-p/118338) posted by @MarqueeCrew , it looks like a more robust way of handling users and studios is on the way.  If you scroll to the bottom of that thread @Joe_Lipski has suggested the steps that need to be taken when moving assets and users among studios.

JohnBell
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Jason...the problem is that as Joe mentioned it is not reversible...I usually go back-and-forth between the studios...

Thanks again Jason,

Regards,

Matt_Curtis
9 - Comet

Hi @JohnBell, what I have done (and my fellow Curator did this as well) was to create multiple users for yourself.  You need to have a typical user set up with your own studio and you can keep all of your work there, especially the scheduled stuff so it doesn't break.  Then, create dummy accounts for yourself that are associated with the other studios.  That way you can log into the dummies to keep an eye on other studios without breaking your own.  Gallery users are free to create, so while not an ideal set up perhaps, it really only takes 10 minutes to set things up that way then you can move freely between studios with confidence.

JohnBell
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Matt_Curtis

But doesn't the "dummy accounts" take up license seats?

Thanks in advance,

John

Matt_Curtis
9 - Comet

The dummy accounts would just be Gallery users -- they wouldn't be tied to any Designer licenses.  You can have as many Gallery users as you want.

JohnBell
8 - Asteroid
@Matt_Curtis, This has come up again... How does one go about creating the "dummy accounts"?
Matt_Curtis
9 - Comet

For myself, I just create a fake email address that's easy to remember.  For instance if my real work email is mcurtis@whatever dot com, I'll create a user based on the email mcurtis2@whatever.  We have different studios for each department, so I've actually created accounts like mcurtisFinance@whatever and mcurtisOps@whatever, that way it's easy to remember the fake email names.  You set your own password when creating the account, but make sure to remember it since the whole reset my password thing won't work (can't go into your fake email to get the reset pass email).  Now you can have 3 or 4 different accounts, each aligned with the different studios, and you can hop between them without your schedules disabling.

JohnBell
8 - Asteroid
@Matt_Curtis Sorry Matt....where do you create these new accounts? I'm not able to via "users"....and though I can add in "subscriptions", it doesn't ask for email addresses. Thanks for your help!
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx
Whether you can create new users will depend on the type of authentication you use on your Gallery. I assume you use Windows AD to authenticate which means that the new users will need to exist in the AD and you will need to sign in using the user credentials for the user to be created on the server side.