Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Scheduled Workflow - Potential Output Conflict

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

I would like to schedule a workflow to run daily.  The last step of workflow will Output Data and overwrite a .yxdb file stored on network drive.  My question is what happens if a user is running a workflow using this same yxdb file WHILE the daily process is running?  Will this be a conflict causing the gallery process to fail?  Other ramifications?

Any thoughts are appreciated!!

3 REPLIES 3
DataInvestigator007
6 - Meteoroid

Append results file name either with user ID or timestamp. 

for ex: <ResultsFileName><TimeStamp>.yxdb or <ResultsFileName><UserID>.yxdb. 

This can potentially avoid rewriting the results file when 2 processes are running on server and producing a results file which is stored on Network Drive. 

--Amar.

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

Appending a timestamp is not an option in order to avoid having to update Inputs using this datasource.  I don't understand the rest of your response.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yes this will cause an error. I built a quick sample to show you that if you have the YXDB file open while you are trying to write to it you'll see this 🙂

2020-01-03 15_46_14-Alteryx Designer x64 - 02 Join_data_from_multiple_sources.yxmd_.png

Now having said that if you have two people running a workflow then it will only error if they are open at the same exact time which is possible but if that's a concern, you should create a different file/folder to mitigate this 🙂

Hope this helps! If this does please mark it as resolved so that others can see it in the community!

Thanks

Joshua

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks