Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Scheduled Alteryx Server workflows goes into Disabled mode

KrisG
7 - Meteor

Hello community,

Our organization is currently experiencing a very annoying issue with scheduled workflows on the Alteryx server which we have not been able to resolve. So far support has not come up with a solution either, so I am now posting here in the community forum hoping that someone might have seen this issue before.

Short description of the issue:
We are running an Alteryx Server with Gallery, which we use to schedule workflows. On a frequent basis - but with no apparent pattern - we see that all our scheduled workflows simultaneously goes from the "Active" state and into being "Disabled" (see image below). When we click "edit schedule" on the disabled workflows it shows this error in red text: "The workflow cannot be accessed. Request access or delete the schedule." The admin then have to re-enable all scheduled workflows manually by checking the "Enable this schedule" box.

As mentioned, we have not found any cause or pattern for this to happen - sometimes it happens within a week, sometimes a month.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Our setup and what we have tried:
Alteryx server version: 2018.4.5.55178
Alteryx Designer version: 2018.4.3.54046

We have a handful of users (Artisans) who schedule workflows from their Alteryx Designer and onto our internal Alteryx Server Gallery. We use "built in authentication" which enables us to lookup users in our current AD and let them run workflows in their own user context (after they have supplied their AD credentials in the "Workflow credentials" admin section).

• Authentication type, admin and default run mode are set as below:
    3.jpg

• In the "Workflow credentials" section, our users enter their AD credentials so they are stored in the system:
  • We have set "Require user credentials", so that users will have to enter their own AD user credentials when running/scheduling workflows:
  • In the "Workflows" section, workflows are scheduled and run in the users own context (we do not use "Run as a different user" in the server settings):
    4.jpg

The scheduled workflows seem to run fine for quite a while (sometimes a few weeks, sometimes a month), but then at some point they all simultaneously change to the "Disabled" state. We have investigated and tried the following:

• Checked if the server had crashed, been rebooted, patched or if the Alteryx Service had crashed.
  • Made sure it wasn't the users changing their AD password/credentials (which would also make their workflows change to "Disabled"). Since all workflows for all users go into Disabled simultaneously, this seems unlikely.
  • Checked if the credentials for the account running the AlteryxService was changed
  • Checked if the Private Studio all the workflows are added to belonged to a disabled user
  • Tried to add more ressource to the server (CPU and memory).
  • Upgraded Alteryx Designer and Server from a previous version
  • We have not been able to find any specific events in the server or Alteryx logs that could point us in the right direction (but may not know what to look for). Getting logs has also been a bit challenging as it's impossible to say when the issue will happen.

If anyone has seen this issue before, or have any input for the troubleshooting I would be very happy to hear it!

Thank you

34 REPLIES 34
Wesley_dup_368
6 - Meteoroid

We have not (knock on wood), had this issue recently.  We are currently running version 2019.3.  When the issue did occur, our fix was to add the users back and that corrected the issue.

KrisG
7 - Meteor

We still see this issue unfortunately and have not found a solution.

seven
12 - Quasar

I have seen this issue too with no resolution.

@KrisGWell crafted and thorough description of the problem.

veruzi
8 - Asteroid

Seems to be fixed in 2020.1, we haven't seen this happening since we upgraded to this version few months ago. 

KrisG
7 - Meteor

Thank you for letting us know @veruzi. I looked at the 2020.1 release notes but don't see anything in the bugfixes that seem to mention the issue, but if it has been fixed that is great news.

https://help.alteryx.com/release-notes/server/server-20201-release-notes

We are always a few versions behind on our production environment, so it may be a while before we get to 2020.1 - if anyone else can confirm the issue is no longer present in 2020.1 that would be great 🙂

veruzi
8 - Asteroid

Later Edit: in 2020.1 we've seen this issue due to users tampering with their Private Srudio Keys. 

So scratch below statement.. 

Looks like a jinxed it ... Today one of the users complained about the same issue in 2020.1.

I re-opened the issue with Alteryx Support as they closed my original one once they confirmed that the issues is fixed in 2020.1.

Will post here when I have more info ...

PurpleKoolAid
7 - Meteor

We are in 2020.1 but this issue persists for us as well.  I have a workflow that is scheduled and runs fine until it is automatically disabled at some seemingly random time.  The comment above regarding Mongo is interesting because we are having some issues with Mongo. 

My private studio information has been stable, and no permissions on the workflow are being changed.

Pretty frustrating to put in so much work to build the work flows and achieve the desired result only to have it fail on the scheduling side.  This obviously reduces/eliminates the value of this as we cannot rely on the schedule.

veruzi
8 - Asteroid

What's the message you are seeing on the UI when the schedule gets disabled?

Is it: "The workflow cannot be accessed. Request access or delete the schedule." ?

PurpleKoolAid
7 - Meteor

I rescheduled the workflow before taking note of the precise message, but I will do so tomorrow as this is likely to reoccur as the scheduled workflow has been disabled in the dead of night on consecutive days.

If I view the workflow history I can see many successful runs, and then I can see where it stopped.  Here the 'Run Type" is manual (all others are scheduled), and the error messages say "Cannot access the folder ..." followed by  the location of the permissioned network drive.  This is followed by more errors that are of the same variety pertaining to additional objects located in the same network directory.

Of course I am wondering why our server seems to randomly disconnect from a permissioned network, and moreover when it does so why does Alteryx automatically decide to disable the workflow?  First thing in the morning I am re-enabling the workflow and it runs fine, and seems to do so all day long until the middle of the night.

seven
12 - Quasar

I posted a workaround that worked some of the time and is now failing too. This is an urgent issue.