Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Schedule report to run on last business day

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I need to schedule a report to run on the last business day of the month.  I know there aren't easy options for this.  I was hoping to use the custom schedule.  Based on what I see in the custom scheduler, I think I need to setup 12 custom schedules, one for each month.  Is that right?  Thanks in advance.  

13 REPLIES 13
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@FreeRangeDingo 

Using the custom option you are able to select the Last Day of every month.

last-day.png

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I need it to run on the last business day, not the last day.  They may or may not be the same.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Missed that part totally, sorry. You are right. In which case your suggestion with 12 separate schedules will probably be the best (and only) solution.

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

So, I posted that question on community and then went to our own internal Alteryx user group meeting where someone was showcasing the conditional runner tool from the CrewMacro. I can build a workflow with the DateTimeNow input tool, followed by an expression that says if the date today is equal to any of these twelve dates, run the workflow (using the conditional runner tool).  I schedule that workflow to run every day, but with the conditional runner tool, it will only execute on the specified days.  

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can indeed build that logic into the workflow if you're happy to have it running every day (or during work week which Alteryx Gallery also understands).

work-week.png

An alternative to the Conditional Runner in this case could be using Events where by you trigger the workflow you want to run on a successful run of the scheduled workflow.

run-workflow-event.png

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

By choosing a reoccurring schedule, I have to set a frequency and the frequencies don't work for last business day.

I'm not sure I understand your last suggestion.  You said --An alternative to the Conditional Runner, in this case, could be using Events whereby you trigger the workflow you want to run on a successful run of the scheduled workflow.

Does that mean to use the DateTimeNow input that I suggested and then based on that completion trigger the primary workflow with a command from events?

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Recurring daily on a working day should work in this case - obviously assuming that last business day means Mon-Fri.

As for the other question, you've got it. You will build a workflow that leverages the DateTimeNow and a lookup table to check whether it is in the table of last business days. If successful, it triggers the primary workflow will be triggered via Events.

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I can't have it recurring daily.  The output gets sent to users, and they would hate getting it every day when they only need to get it one day of the month.  

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Only the workflow checking for the day will run daily. The workflow delivering the output will only be triggered if the first one succeeds which will only be on the last business day of the month.