Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Return Message to App runner letting them know of Results of Workflow From Gallery

bsharbo
11 - Bolide

Hello everyone.

if you build a render tool and use the option of "Output Mode: Choose a specific Output File" and the Output file has a .pcxml  extension, are you guaranteed that this render tool will be the default results displayed to your users?

Please see my attachement below as an example. I want to guarantee that the userse always see the results.pcxml file as the default value that is returned from the gallery instead of the two xlsx files.

Is there any way to guarantee this, or is this already a guarantee from Alteryx? :-)

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
WayneWooldridge
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

By specifying the file type as .pcxml, Alteryx will create a the file as .pcxml for everyone who runs the workflow.  When I ran the workflow you attached, it created a .pcxml for me.  :)

bsharbo
11 - Bolide

Hey Wayne!  my main question is more of the order of priority display?  Can we be guaranteed that the .pcxml file will always be displayed as the first option on the drop down from the application? :-)

Aka if we produced 10 outputs, i would want the .pcxml file to be the one that defaults as the displayed output... Is there any way to guarantee this?  On the apps ive made so far it always seems to display the .pcxml file first, but that could be completely by chance (I believe).

Thanks!

WayneWooldridge
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I see... I understand now.  Actually, no.... the order of files as you the workflow setup will not always have the .pcxml first.  If you want to make sure it will be first, use the Block Until Done where the .pcxml file is connected in the first position on the output side of the Block Until Done tool. 

Order of output files.png

bsharbo
11 - Bolide

Ah got ya, so the order of the system is dependant on when the files were created.

Okay thanks that's great to know! 

ksiercks
5 - Atom

We have 3 different files written, a PDF, KML and PCXML.  We tried the block until done but the feeds were a seperate and no effect. Tried the parallel block until done and throttle and wait a second did not sync it up.