Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Restricting downloading Alteryx workflow based off user permissions

elsastark
10 - Fireball

Hello Community!

We are wanting to implement a security model where only certain people can download workflows that are shared within a collection. I saw the workflow setting to designate a workflow that shouldn't be downloaded - but I want the workflow to be downloadable by very specific people. 

Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Elsa

4 REPLIES 4
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @elsastark ,

It is not possible to manage on a user-to-user basis the download permission. I would suggest managing through collections instead.

I'm curious about why you want to manage the download permissions, could you elaborate more? Then I can see if we have any other workaround.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

elsastark
10 - Fireball

We have some compliance requirements where we have separation of duties. We basically want only approved migrators to be able to download workflows once they are on our Gallery and have gone through compliance checks and reviews. Now that I am typing this out.. maybe we could build in a policy where the migrators use the "Ready for Migration" flag? Basically, it has to be downloadable by the migrator and the migration flag has to be on. 

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @elsastark ,

Yes, that seems like the best option. You could create an Alteryx workflow to download all the workflows ready to be migrated using the gallery APIs.

21.4 or higher: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Introducing-the-Alteryx-Server-v3-API/ba-p/899228

21.3 or lower: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Using-the-Alteryx-API-from-Alteryx/ba-p/318565

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

elsastark
10 - Fireball

Great, thanks! We already have a migration tool that pulls down the workflow information from MongoDB that we use to verify if the person running the migration tool can in fact migrate the workflow so I'll add a clause to check for that flag as well. Thanks @fmvizcaino