Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Restrict access in Gallery to schedule private workflows?

IKMS
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I am totally new to scheduling workflows in a Gallery, and would therefore really appreciate some help on below if possible. 

I have created a few workflows that need to be scheduled. However, the problem is that the input and output files are located on private shared drives within the company. That is, not everyone has nor should have access to these drives and the files hereon. 

I have been told that the Alteryx Gallery needs to be granted access to the drives for the workflows to be uploaded and scheduled successfully in the Gallery. However, as explained to me, when the Gallery is granted access to the drives, it will be possible for anyone who has the schedule access to create jobs essentially being able to see the information in the files. It is all files that will become visible, which includes

• The input file (including everything)
    • The output file
    • All other files located on the drive that do not necessarily have anything to do with the workflow

Thus, it has been recommended to me that the workflows not be scheduled, which doesn't really work as a long-term solution.. 

My question is then, is there any way to avoid everyone with the scheduler access within the Gallery to also obtain the access to the drive?

Maybe it is possible to make the workflow private or something so that not everyone can see it and thereby not access it nor the files related to it? 

Or any other ideas?

Thank you for any help in advance! 

2 REPLIES 2
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

That is actually a very doable option in which you can put a password on the workflow in order to run. Problem is I am not 100% sure you can use that when you are scheduling a workflow. 

@SeanAdams I am curious what your thoughts are on this. 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
IKMS
5 - Atom

Hi Joshua, 

Thank you for replying!

Given that the workflow can be password protected and then deployed to the Gallery, would that mean it is safe from anyone with access to the same Gallery and scheduler function to view the input, output, and other files as described in the first post?

To put it another way, is the ability to download the workflow the only way in for other users to the input, output, and other files on the drive provided access for? If so, I don't quite understand how other users will ultimately have access to view the files that are located on the shared drive, which are not included in the workflow at all - maybe you can provide more insights on that?

Specifically, what is the path from providing the Gallery user access to the private company drive to someone being able to view the input, output, and all other files on the drive? 

Thank you in advance! 

Best regards, 

Mishal