Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Rendering a dynamic message to Gallery without giving the user the File Download option

Peachyco
11 - Bolide

I have a Gallery app that allows the user to upload a flat file, takes the data from that file, and then pushes the data into a database table.

Now, I just want to notify the user about how many records have indeed been pushed into the database. To customize this dynamic message, I'm using a Report Text Tool that feeds into a Render Tool that is configured to output the message as a PCXML.

However, while doing it this way does publish the wanted message in the Gallery app, it also gives a "File Download" option to the user (as shown in the image, below). Is there a way of switching this off or removing this? The user only needs to read the message - the File Download option here is superfluous and only serves to confuse.

If you know of another method of displaying a dynamic message to the Gallery without having to show the user a File Download option, I'd like to hear that, too. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Cropped Screenshot.png

3 REPLIES 3
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Although I haven't tried it myself, perhaps the message tool would accomplish this. Not positive though.  Basically you'd have no output or browse tools and just the message tool at the end.  I know that will show a message in Designer; not sure how it will translate to Gallery.

If not, you can always have the module end with no output and have an email sent to the user showing the record count.

Peachyco
11 - Bolide

@mbarone : Sorry, the Message Tool didn't work. I prepared the message via a Formula Tool, and connected it to the Message Tool (the last tool in the workflow). It didn't show in the final app in the Gallery.

The email thing will work, but is a bit extreme for what I have in mind. I'm thinking more of a simple feedback, like hearing a ding or clicking sound when you click a button on the screen, just a quick confirmation that something happened.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I hear ya.  Unfortunately the only way I know of to have something display is to have an output (either a browse or an output tool or a render tool).  Which will then give the download option.