Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Remove user from subscription

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

Hi, is it possible to remove a user from a subscription in the Alteryx Gallery? I can only see an option for "add user" for nothing to remove.

Please advise.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @akasubi ,

Clarifying the developer question, if the user is set as a developer (artisan), then he will have access to a subscription (studio).

The workflows are attached to the studio, so if you want to move the user to a different studio, you will need to manually move the workflows from one studio to another.

When you give artisan's role to a user, a studio is automatically created for him and the permission to publish workflows from designer to the gallery is also granted.

If you want to move the user and the workflows to a different studio, I would do the following:

1. Ask the user to manually download the workflows or to open with their designer and save in a folder

2. Move the user to his new studio

3. Ask the user to republish workflows

4. Delete the workflows from the previous studio

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

Hey @fmvizcaino, thanks for the info! So the user is an Artisan and was not originally assigned to a subscription and saved workflows to their private gallery. However we recently assigned the user to a subscription and now those original workflows are no longer visible. Is the user able to access these again?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @akasubi ,

When you set the user's role to Artisan, a studio is automatically created for that user under the user's name and he was saving the workflows directly there.

For example, mine would be Fernando's studio. If you don't see a studio with his name, that means that the studio was deleted somehow.

For the user to be able to see the workflows, you have to move him back to that same studio.

Let me know if you are able to fix it, if not, we can set up a quick call so I can help you troubleshoot :) 

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

Hi @fmvizcaino, managed to find the users' subscription as it was using their initials instead of their full name .Didn't know that a studio is automatically created for Artisans, thanks for that info.

But all fixed now! 

Many thanks

Franz
9 - Comet

Thanks Fernando,

I have some further questions related to the way Subscriptions work now in the newer versions..

How did the Subscriptions change between server versions ?

Previously, (ver. 2019.x & 2020.x) there was the option to add different types of users (free or paid seats) into this subscription;

With the version we have now 2022.1.1.40869 this is no longer available. Nevertheless, users can still be added to the Subscription. What I want to understand is what does adding a user here means in practice? Is the studio owner somehow limited in term of users being added, does it impact her accessing the server etc.

Thanks.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Franz ,

A shared subscription/studio is somehow similar to a collection. Here are the nuances in both.

Shared subscription

1. If an artisan/developer publishes a workflow, all the artisans inside the studio automatically have access to it
  2. Ability to open, publish and create a new workflow version automatically
  3. Version history is available automatically
  4. Option to share schedules automatically. All artisans can see each other's schedules

Collection

1. Artisan must publish the workflow in a collection
  2. Artisans must add a schedule to a collection
  3. Version history must be enabled on the workflow settings in each workflow
  4. Ability to open and publish a workflow from designer. To create a new version, the artisan must have the update permission in the collection.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Franz
9 - Comet

Thanks for clarifying Fernando.

I believe I do understand how the Collection works, the Subscription is the one that's not so clear, especially as I wrote, after the changes in the newer versions of the application. Many of the parameters disappeared. So I wanted to make sure I understand how functioning changed.

Anyway, I take it that adding users to a Subscription grants them the permissions you describe..(the permissions from the user profile are used); So I take it that this is what you call a 'Shared Subscription' ..

I now understand better. In our case we try to manage Collections access through AD roles however that does not work well when a restriction on a 'production' category Collections need to be made (ie: as in the case of support staff vs. developers. It's impossible to control it now because once you have a 'curator' role it's your system..That's something Alteryx needs to get their act together..). 

I attach for comparison the previous & current Subscription form with the parameters/settings options;

Thx.

F.

Franz_0-1666764832578.png

Franz_1-1666765590242.png