Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Remove Reversing Entries in a Population

nshields001
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I'm working on an alteryx workflow and currently use some guidance. I'm working with a data set where I'm am trying to get the total debit (positive) balance for specific units to not include the debit (positive) balances that are for reversing entries. The issue I'm running into, is that this is over multiple units (unit 1 & 2) and when I try to use the workflows from similar questions, I can't create an output that only includes non-reversing debit entries. The issue I'm facing in my data is that debit and credit of a specific journal entry don't have an indicator where it shows the debit and credit being a part of the same entry. In the 'Data Input' file attached below for example, in the 'Unit 1' tab, rows 2&3 are reversing entries, but the 'Transaction Sequence Number' and 'Journal Id' for both the debit and credit don't have a way of matching up so I don't know how to bring them together to remove the reversing debit from the balance. I tried to highlight and document in the attached file what I'm trying to do. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate!

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Since you don't have a unique field to join on, here is what I tried. I added a multi row tool to give a unique transaction order to each dollar amount. I then join the first positive number to the first negative number of the same value and so on. For any dollar amount that doesn't find a match, those should be the non reversing entries and the ones that join should be the reversing entries. Again, it's not perfect since you can't guarantee that they aren't two unrelated  transactions that happen to offset but hopefully it's a step in the right direction. 

jakevanhecke
6 - Meteoroid

think I understand what you're saying here. Is this the result you're looking for? 

jakevanhecke_0-1610052623662.png