Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Reindex the MongoDB database

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi everyone,

Is there a documentation or step-by-step guide explaining how to reindex the MongoDB database of an Alteryx Server ?

Thank you for your answers.

Cheers,

Jean-Baptiste

8 REPLIES 8
gsjacobs
8 - Asteroid

Access is denied trying to reach this article.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@gsjacobs

Hello! That article was removed and thus has an access denied message. For reindexing your MongoDB database, I would recommend reaching out to our Support team at support@alteryx.com so they can assist you directly with this request!

@Jean-Balteryx  (and to anyone else who may not have partner status but might have this same question)

Our support team prefers to handle cases like this individually because there are actually a couple of potential causes of problems that appear similar to indexing problems.  Reindexing is not a panacea and should not be attempted unless actually required.

If you run the workflow I attached below and you have records returned via the first or third connector, you can provide those outputs when you contact Support.  If you do see records in those outputs, the next step will likely be to back up your MongoDB.

As with all Alteryx Server issues, the response from Support will be most efficient if you supply logs and the version number in your initial contact.

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @lepome ,

Thank you for your answer ! The workflow is super useful !

Cheers,

Jean-Baptiste

AleksM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'm quite late to the party here, but as of July 2021 there is now an article on how and when to re-index your Mongo 🙂

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

Unfortunately I'm getting an access denied for that article. 

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TheCoffeeDude 

That article is written for internal Alteryx Associates.  (I try to remember to check that before I share links with customers, but sometimes I miss one or two.)  Because the apparent need to reindex the MongoDB can reflect a few different underlying issues and making any modifications to the MongoDB is to be avoided, we vastly prefer that customers open a case rather than taking such steps on their own.  Holders of current, paid licenses can open a case by emailing support@alteryx.com or via the Case Portal.  When you open a case, it is fastest if you also include the output of the workflow menitioned attached in my prior comment above, info from Help > About, RuntimeSettings.xml, the current Gallery and Service logs, and screenshots of anyu other behavior that led you to conclude that Reindexing will help. The following articles will guide you in that process:

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

Ah ha! That explains it. Well, I have a sort of related case going on. I'll get my technical account manager to clone/copy/whatever so we can make that happen.

Fun times.