Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Publish to Tableau Tool

Kistinga
5 - Atom

Hello!

I am new to Alteryx.  I am trying to publish to the Tableau Server. When I do, it is creating a tde file, not a hyper file (even though I selected .hyper in the data source format box.

Also, on the tableau server, its showing up as a live connection, but that can't possibly be correct can it?

I'm using Tableau 10.5 and Alteryx 2018.3.  I'm new to Alteryx, so any suggestions would be very helpful!

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
ChrisHe
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @Kistinga,

The first thing I'd encourage you to do is to ensure that you've downloaded the latest Publish to Tableau Server Tool form our Analytics Gallery  However with that said, with my own testing, I am seeing that when I upload with the .hyper format selected  Tableau Server says "Data Source Name.tde" within the Server interface.  However, it is actually publishing a .hyper file.  I confirmed this by downloading the resulting .tdsx file from Tableau Server, unzipping it and verifying that it is a .hyper file. It looks like the metadata for the Server display is not updated despite the file being published correctly.

The reason it is showing up as a live connection is due to how Tableau Server considers something "Live" or "Extract".  The most common case where it is considered an Extract connection is when a data source is connected to with a live connection and then "Extract" is chosen in the Tableau Desktop or Tableau Server interface.  In such an instance the Tableau Server actually knows what the underlying connection information is and can say that it is an "Extracted" source from something like SQL Server, Redshift, etc.  In the case where we publish from an external source like Alteryx or tabcmd, Tableau Server knows nothing about what formed that Extract (sometimes called a naked extract). Hence it says that workbooks connected to the published extract are "Live".  It is definitely a bit of a misnomer.

Can you try downloading an extract you've uploaded to Tableau Server and see if it's actually a .hyper file? Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Chris