Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Promoting workflows from user desktop to server

kbs2018
7 - Meteor

Hi Alteryx community!

We have many workflows connecting to Hive as source/output. Users connect to Hive using ODBC connection. When they publish the workflows to gallery, it gets published using same ODBC connection and credentials. But we would like the workflow to utilize different login and password on server. Is there any way to accomplish this without manually editing workflow?

Thank you

Kiran

5 REPLIES 5
JakeS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @kbs2018 

I would recommend reading this article which discusses how you can accomplish this using Windows Auth in detail (first section - Which user will the workflow run under when I publish or schedule it and how do I set up my connections to accommodate this?). This way, you can have the connection use a local users account when they are in Designer on the client machine, and use a service account on the Gallery server machine. If you require users to manually enter in credentials for the ODBC connection, you will have to manually change the credentials before uploading the workflow to the gallery.

Jake 

Jake Samuels

Principal Support Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
kbs2018
7 - Meteor

Thank you Jake for pointing me to right article! Seems like it will work for us. I will try it on Monday and get back. 

kbs2018
7 - Meteor

Thank you Jake. It worked successfully!

kbs2018
7 - Meteor

@JakeS I have one more question about file locations when promoting the workflows from Desktop to server. We would like to place the files on D drive of the server. We are putting the D drive location when we save the workflow from Desktop to Server. But it changes it back to _externals. I tried Manage dependency and edit option but it still changes. Is there any way we can store the files on D drive (or any drive) of the server?

JakeS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @kbs2018 

I would recommend reading this article on avoiding getting the "externals" when opening the workflow that has been downloaded from Gallery. 

Jake Samuels

Principal Support Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.