Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Power BI - Publish on a different Workspace

Andre_Maciel
6 - Meteoroid

Hey there,

I'm trying to use the Power BI dataset connector to append data on a specific dataset, and this dataset is not on 'My Workspace', I have an specific workspace to this dataset, is that possible to do?

Regards

André Maciel

12 REPLIES 12
ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Andre_Maciel

I believe you may be running into a limitation of the Publish to Power BI API (which is used in the connector you mention).  I haven't' tried, but you may be able to engineer a work-around with the Download tool to upload to a different location in Power BI.  I'm not sure it'll work, but it could be worth a shot! 

-Christine B

Customer Support Enginner

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Andre_Maciel

How did you fare with this, did you manage to get this to work?

Are you using power BI on an Azure cloud or locally hosted?

Not sure if I can set this up on my home machine (I have SQL 2016 at home), but happy to try to replicate if you cna provide some more details about the case to help replicate?

(apologies for my ignorance, I've not used Alteryx into Power BI yet, but perhaps this is a good excuse to install it at home and try to learn) :-))

Cheers @Andre_Maciel

Sean

GerryD
5 - Atom

I hit my head against the wall for quite a while on this one and have not been able to publish to anywhere in Power BI other than "My Workspace". If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. As a work-around enabling the ability to upload to OneDrive would be a good alternative. 

Andre_Maciel
6 - Meteoroid

This is still no solve, we need an update on Power BI connector w/ improvements.

apolly
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Andre,

Thank you for recommending this enhancement. We do not have an update to the PowerBI connector scheduled at this time, but I've placed this recommendation in the backlog for the PowerBI connector and we will evaluate the capability to specify a dataset outside of My Workspace when we update the PowerBI connector.

Thank you again for your feedback,

Alex Polly

Andre_Maciel
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you Alex!! I will be waiting for this, today I need to store data on SQL Server and Schedule again on Power BI Gateway who just can be refreshed 8 times in a day. :(

kmccormick
5 - Atom

I'm looking forward to this enhancement as well! I think it is very needed. With Power BI's recent updates (Power BI Pro, Power BI Premium, App Workspaces, etc.) it's extremely difficult to share content from "My Workspace". My goal is to update reports that are shared within my organization using Alteryx Server, but none of my reports are shared from "My Workspace", so the current connector is almost useless. 

Voska
8 - Asteroid

I have made a work around that solves this.  Find solution here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Connect-Gallery/PowerBI-Connector-How-to-alter-macro-to-pub...

I may make a macro in the future that has an additional input for workspace and match this up with the get call, if i do i will repost it here but too busy now. Please note, this work around will only write to the Public workspace you put an id in for.  you would have to repeat steps 3 and 4 for each workspace (group id) and resave the macro with a different name using this method.  Macro must be stored in the same file as the original as it is using other application extensions in that folder.

GerryD
5 - Atom

Wow, that's great, thanks for posting your solution Voska, I will give it a try!