Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Pointing to an input file but not an asset

ChrisPayne153
7 - Meteor

Hi!

I have a workflow which points to a particular input file that is periodically updated.  It would seem logical that if the file is to be updated often, it would be best not to include it as an Asset.  However, does anyone know how to have an App within the Gallery pick up a file using a preset file path as it would do in Designer?

Apologies if this is a basic question but searches and attempts have yielded no results so far.

Thanks

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, if you host your file on a shared drive you can keep it as a "live" file so that when the workflow is run from the server, it always uses the updated version.

Firstly, ensure you are using UNC paths to your shared drives rather than the mapped name (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Workflow-Dependencies/ta-p/49696) and that the Alteryx Server has access to these. 

When you go to save the workflow to your server, click "manage workflow assets" under workflow options. Find the file that you want to keep as the live file, and uncheck it.

Capture.PNG

ChrisPayne153
7 - Meteor

Thanks Erica.  I think that has solved the problem but it looks as if there could be a problem with our server setup.  When pointing the workflow at a UNC of a specific file, it acknowledges the file but returns "Access Denied".  So, we are a step forward from the "File not found" that was the previous problem.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

By default, Alteryx runs as a service account, which may not have access to the shared drive.

You can have your server admin go to the Alteryx System Settings and enable "Run As a different user." I suggest making this a service account that has access to the necessary folders, but you can also use your credentials as well.

echuong1_0-1592914099828.png