Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Please Close All Instances of Alteryx

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

I have a virtual machine running Windows Server.  On the vm I am trying to upgrade my version of Alteryx Server. I downloaded the installer and tried to run it, but got an message telling me to close all instances of Alteryx.  The thing is, I have no instances open.  What should I try next?  Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
ZacharyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The issue is likely that the Alteryx Service is running.

To stop the Alteryx Service you should do the following; 

1. Open the Windows Services Manager 

2. Find "Alteryx Service" -> Right-click and STOP the service

3. Try running the installer now

Let me know if this solves the conflict issue.

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

Thank you ZacharyM.  I went into the Task Manager and disconnected everyone (after notifying them beforehand).  Alteryx Server is now installing.  

ColleenH218
8 - Asteroid

Just wanted to note that this was the issue for me as well - services were NOT running, but another user was still logged on and had Alteryx designer open. Thanks for adding this note - it helped!

smysnbrg
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to somehow "disconnect" these users from the system?

I tried to perform a server upgrade, but apparently my announcement wasn't adequate to get users off and therefore I can't proceed.

Peachyco
11 - Bolide

@smysnbrg : I think @robertfishel's solution might work. Open Task Manager, go to the Users tab, and disconnect the users.

Another thing that might work is to just reboot the machine that runs Alteryx Server. I'm thinking that would boot everyone off the system - albeit rather gracelessly. You can then do the upgrade once the system is up again. 😅

smysnbrg
8 - Asteroid

I had also forgotten that there shouldn't be any workflows running.  😬

BhushanAgrawal
5 - Atom

I open services window and there is no alteryx instance running. Any solution for this? Thanks in advance.