Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

PCXML XLSXOutput Error

mcha54
8 - Asteroid

Hi there, we have a workflow that outputs a PCXML file on the gallery. We are on Server 2018.4

It renders and displays on the screen correctly, but when people click on the File Format buttons, an error appears when clicking on the XLSX button.

The output has 42 columns, I don't know if that's an issue?

{"data":null,"exceptionName":"AlteryxServiceException","innerExceptionMessage":"","message":"Unknown error from: XLSXOutput::StartFormatOutput"}

2019-08-20_16-28-49.png

6 REPLIES 6
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@mcha54 

Can you test rendering into Excel in your Designer to see whether it throws an error as well and if so what the error is?

mcha54
8 - Asteroid

@MichalM I switched the output in Render to "Temporary Excel 2007 Spreadsheet" and it runs fine on Designer (run as Analytic app). Some of the column header text is cutoff, but no errors or issues.

I saved this to the Gallery and ran it -- no error, but nothing is displayed. No toolbar with an Excel button or any data. Is that expected behavior for "Temporary Excel 2007 Spreadsheet"? We're not that used to Gallery yet.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx
Temporary files are not supported in the Gallery context. If you change the output to Choose a specific file and only specify a file name (eg Output.xlsx), this will give you an option to download an excel file.
mcha54
8 - Asteroid

Ok gotcha! I switched to Specific Output with filename "output.xlsx". It runs fine in Designer and the Gallery - the XLSX button downloads the file without errors.

We are looking to use PCXML though since it has options of different file formats and also displays the results on the screen when they run the app. PDF, Word, HTML, ZIP all render correctly and downloads. It's just the XLSX button in PCXML that doesn't work.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

That is strange. Could you maybe share the Alteryx Service log from around the time the error happens? You can normally find it under C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

It might also be worth raising this via support@alteryx.com. Thanks!