Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

On Disk scheduler fails without explanation

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

I am seeing some strange things happening with the Alteryx Scheduler, which always fails without explanation when I run 'on disk'. To begin I'll explain my set up:

• I'm using 10.1
  • Server/Scheduler is set up on a Virtual Machine
  • I login to the virtual machine using a service account
  • The service account is also set up in the System Settings as Run the Worker as a Different User
  • I can run the workflow on the VM manually while logged in as the service account
  • I can run the workflow in the Scheduler DB
  • I can't run the workflow on disk - it errors
  • The workflow I'm trying to schedule has no references to any network drives and no macros, only the local machine is referenced
  • Sadly I can't upload pictures into this forum to show the results (Idea was raised in the forum improvements area), however they're similar to what is shown at this discussion with a few differences: http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Setup-Configuration/Scheduler-Results-Status-Corrupted/td-p/8475
    • Mine doesn't report Corrupted, it reports Error - VM Name
    • It is scheduled by the service account
    • The date completed is also January 01, 0001 12:00:00 AM
  • When I click on the Output of the scheduler results it gives no information, there are 2 messages:
    • Started running at
    • Finished running in 0.0 seconds

Anyone have any ideas how I can rectify this?

Note I'm developing in an enterprise environment, it is a requirement to schedule workflows on disk.

10 REPLIES 10
AndrewW
11 - Bolide

I think I've found the problem that was preventing the workflow from running 'On Disk'. The file path of the workflow was D:\0Alteryx\...\workflow.yxmd. What I've discovered is if the first folder in the directory was renamed, removing the 0 at the start the workflow will then run 'On Disk'.

Therefore I can only assume a workflow can't be scheduled 'on disk' if the name of the first folder in the directory begins with a digit.

If anyone else out there is using the scheduler it would be interesting if you could test this, renaming the first folder in your directory with a number and see if you can schedule the workflow 'on disk'.

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Andrew,

I took a working workflow and copied it to a folder called Test. I then ran it successfully through the Scheduler using the 'on disk' option.

I then renamed the folder to 0Test (which made it the first folder in my directory) and reran it successfully. So unfortunately not able to duplicate your issue.

Rod

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Thanks for trying Rod, the mystery deepens if the numberic folder root doesn't cause an issue for you. I've attached screenshots (in a word doc has I can't upload images) of running the same workflow, once with the folder root of 000 and again with a folder root of aaa. The numeric fails (or doesn't actually get picked up at all, it doesn't report failure), the letters runs without problem.

Note a colleague working from a different server on a different machine as a different user trialled the numberic root folder and it caused the same failure I'm seeing.

As well as the test of a 'real world' workflow, which is in the attached Word doc, I also tried an even simpler workflow, single cell text input followed by browse tool. That did the same as above, a fail in folder 000.

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You might want to contact Alteryx Support to see if they can assist in diagnosing the issue. 

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

For closure on this Client Services have added it to the defects backlog and will fix in a later release.

EArcher
5 - Atom

Hi Andrew,

Did Client Service ever determine what was causing the issue?  I am having a very similar problem except mine is saying "corrupt" in the status.  Same setup and it works when copying the job to the scheduler DB as well.

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@EArcher - In this case the culprit was the folder name with a digit and we created a Knowledgebase article describing the issue and how to work around it. If following the instructions does not resolve your issue, I suggest contacting support (http://www.alteryx.com/support) or posting your specific issue in a new thread.

Tara McCoy
AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Great internal comms Alteryx staff :-)

Yes, a defect was raised and an article written already explaining the issue.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I am having this same issue.  My folder is "M:\Flex_Errors\Weekly_Export".  Anyone know what the root cause was aside from the foler having a number since this is not the case for me?

Thanks.