Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Odd Server Scheduling Requirement

snelson02
6 - Meteoroid

I've got a one off scenario where I need to run a workflow daily, except on Thursdays where it needs to run hourly.  I would be fine having two schedules, but I can't figure out how to have a workflow run hourly just on the one day.  Let me know how this is user error so I can facepalm myself.

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

You are correct - I see no way to do this "nicely".

The only workaround I can come up with is to do the M,T,W,F,S,S one at whatever time you want (easy enough).
And then schedule 24 schedules for a Thu (one at the top of every hour).  YUK, for sure!

Would be a great "Idea" posting (the more likes an idea gets, the more likely it is to be implemented).

Harbinger
9 - Comet

@snelson02 Actually, I think you can do this in two ways: chained apps or a batch script

Chained Apps 

There will be two workflow here: a heartbeat and the worker. The heartbeat checks the day and time and then the worker-- well does the work 🙂

the heartbeat will check the day and time and kick off the worker workflow under either of two conditions:

If today = thursday 

if today != thursday and  time = 7AM (or whenever you want it to run on non thursdays)

Then you can schedule the heartbeat hourly everyday but really it will run hourly only on Thursday and daily all other days.   

Batch File

Similar logic with the bat file. Here we'll use a batch script and kick off the workflow from the command line. 

You could then use the windows task scheduler to run it every hour. Within the batch script, you'd house your execution logic:

If today = thursday then execute workflow 

if today != thursday and  time = 7AM (or whenever you want it to run on non thursdays) execute workflow

else exist

This way although the script is executing hourly (as with the heartbeat and worker chained app), the workflow will only be executed hourly on thursday and daily on all other days. 

looking back on my post, I realize how terrible I am at capitalizing Thursday. Please let me know if this helps! I would be happy to share more on chained apps and kicking off workflows via command line!