Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Multiple excel files input on the Alteryx server

olimpio
8 - Asteroid

Can anyone share a workflow, that can be used on the alteryx server where the  inputs is multiple excel files. the excel files should get consolidated into 1 data set then move forward into the workflow. The number of excel files are variable

any guidance is appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
NikyN
9 - Comet

Hello @olimpio,

You need to to following steps:

1) Directory Tool to specify file path and file specification based on needs

2) Add formula to populate all sheets (valid only in case, that excel files that you want to load has multiple sheets)

3) Macro (needs to be replaced by macro attached) ++ do not forget to add Browse Tool

4) Add formula to add to Full Path as well SheetName (sheet name can be used from step 2 and 3 in case those steps needed or can be hard coded e.g. Sheet1)

5) Macro (needs to be replaced by macro attached) ++ do not forget to add Browse Tool

And here we gooooo :)

Best Luck!

Niky

MichelleL
Alteryx
Alteryx

@olimpio Please see attached for a variety of options to bring multiple Excel files together into 1.  The solution is dependent on the set up of the Excel files (same schema, different schema, same sheet names, different sheet names, sheet sequence number, etc).  Let me know if one of these works for you!  

olimpio
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your response, even though it works on designer the directory tool seems to give an error on the server." Invalid directory tool" the server does have access to the shared drive path mentioned.

is there any thing you think i may be doing incorrectly, unfortunately cannot share the workflow

MichelleL
Alteryx
Alteryx

@olimpio The server needs to have access to the network drive you are trying to pull files from (your security team should be able to grant access to the server to the drives you need, just like they do for people).  Once the server has access to your network drive, it should work.  Note: the server will not have access to your hard drive (i.e. C:\ drive).