Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Issues with email tool

MemphLantAntonio
8 - Asteroid

I haven't gotten much help from my organization, and I am wondering if someone can help me understand what may be going wrong.

Record #1 "Failure when receiving data from the peer".

I have tried with and without credentials and did receive the SMTP address from my company.

Would appreciate any help!

8 REPLIES 8
Garabujo7
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @MemphLantAntonio , everything looks good with the config.

I would recommend you to check if you can send an email to that address with your regular email client.

Also try with a different smtp, for example your personal email to make sure it works.

If that doesn't work, take a look at this tool mastery article. Even includes a workflow for you to try.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Email/ta-p/32129

Gabriel

salbol1
8 - Asteroid

I've seen that error appear when authentication is required in order to be able to utilize the relay - the peer (your smtp server) is looking to receive data from the request that it's not obtaining. Have you verified with your IT team whether you need to utilize the relay with an authentication requirement? When you select an authentication method, it should also autofill your port. The two choices:

SSL/TLS - 465

STARTTLS - 587 

salbol1_0-1665552049093.png

Don't know if that is your situation or not.

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @MemphLantAntonio , 

Can you please type the hostname/IP of the SMTP server in the Email SMTP and see if it works?

Before that, the communication should be enabled from your Alteryx server to the SMTP server (If you are running your workflow from Gallery). If you are trying to execute it locally, then the communication should be enabled as well.

How do I test my SMTP server?

• Type cmd in the Start menu search field and select Command Prompt from the results.
  • At the command prompt enter telnet <mail server address> 25.
  • Check the response.

Let me know if this helps and please mark it as a solution if so.

Regards, 

Ariharan R

MemphLantAntonio
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for this suggestion. I tried this in command prompt, wasn;t sure whether to include the brackets or not so tried both, and it seems like it wasn;t connectingAlteryx cmd email.jpg

MemphLantAntonio
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your response. It doesn;t seem to be connecting Alteryx cmd email.jpg

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @MemphLantAntonio , 

Can you please try like this, 

telnet Mail.server.com 25

Ariharan_0-1666206209527.png

Regards, 

Ariharan R

MemphLantAntonio
8 - Asteroid

I'm still getting 'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Sorry, not familiar with cmd much

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

HI @MemphLantAntonio , 

I hope your internal IT team restricts the permission to perform the Telnet operation it seems. 

The problem will solve if you enable communication between your machine to SMTP server. 

Regards, 

Ariharan.R