Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Issue with the Gallery: Version of app tagged as "published" is notexcectued

oliver_huber
7 - Meteor

Good morning,

I am using version control on the Gallery in order to test exerpimental workflows while still having a public stable version published. In the below example, version 1 is stable and tagged as "published"; version 2 is the exerimental one:

Gallery.png

My experience:

- Using "Run selected version" in the pop up window while having highlighted version 1 works as expected, i.e., version 1 gets exceuted.

- However, hitting "RUN" in the main window of the gallery excecutes version 2.

Is the latter a bug? In my opinion "RUN" should always run the published version and not necessarly the latest version. 

Any comments would be highly appreciated,

Oli

3 REPLIES 3
HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Oli

This was designed like that on purpose. You as the artisan will by default run the latest version of the app, even if it is not the published version. Other users outside of your studio will run the published version.

Here is their reasoning behind that:

As an artisan in the studio where that workflow lives, we had made the decision that you more often than not will want to run the latest version of a workflow, even if it isn't the published version. For example, you save a workflow, make the first version published, and share it with a group of users. As you make edits to that workflow in the future, you want to maintain the published version pointing to version one so that's what your end users see, but when you as the artisan run the workflow, you want to see the latest so you can test out and verify your changes.

Let us know what you think!

Henriette

Henriette Haigh
Technical Product Manager - Data Connectors
Alteryx, Inc.

oliver_huber
7 - Meteor

Hi Henriette, thanks for clarifying. I guess, it does make sense having it set up this way. Personally, however, I do face the challenge that I use my own artisan account for both, developing new versions of existing apps and also showcasing the stable versions to customers. Hence the confusion. I guess it will be best to set up a specific "presentation" account for myself to separate the two roles I use on the gallery. Good to know!

Oliver

michaelhimmel
6 - Meteoroid

This was designed like that on purpose. You as the artisan will by default run the latest version of the app, even if it is not the published version. Other users outside of your studio will run the published version.

@HenrietteH - is this still the expected behavior?  Do you know if it's included anywhere in the documentation?  I could not find it anywhere, but it would perfectly explain some behavior we've been seeing on the gallery.