Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Is it possible for a gallery app to output the local location of a user selected file?

AkisM
10 - Fireball

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible for an app that will be run through the gallery, where the user selects the input file, to be able to output the path of the file uploaded. Is it possible? if so, how?

My understanding is that apps run on the gallery use a staging environment. I'm not sure if the local path from the user of the app ever gets passed to the workflow, or if it's just uploaded to the staging environment and the local path is ignored altogether.

1 REPLY 1
JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AkisM , 

Yes, It is possible to output the path. 

From what I remember, it may not be straight forward. 

You will need an Action Card, Text Input, and RegEx. ( i think) 

Set up the Text Input to have a Single Cell of data with some dummy text and name the column Path. 

Connect the Action Card to the File Input tool, then the Text Input tool. Configure the Action to replace the Path data.  If I remember correctly, it will put a lot more information that you need, so you'll need to trim the data down using RegEx, or a Tool. 

I hope this is helpful, I'd share screenshots, but my trial license expired... 

Justin Babbitt