Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

InstallAware - no disk space

simon
11 - Bolide

I am trying to install AlteryxServerInstallx64_2018.3.4.51585.exe on a Dev Server. I dropped the exe on a local drive called E with 30 GB of free space. This is the same drive I want to install Alteryx Server and migrate an existing Mongo DB to. C drive is nearly full and has less than 900 MB of free disk space left. I am guessing that's where my problem is...

When I run the executable InstallAware starts verifying the contents of the package and nearly immediately returns the error 'Not Enough Space On Disk'.

Alteryx Server Tech specs say I need 1TB free which seems ridiculous. How much REAL free disk space to I need on C to pass prerequisites? Is there a check disk space routine in

InstallAware? Is there a way to install on E with low disk space on C?

Thanks!

/S 

InstallAware.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Simon,

Checking my disk allocation shows that my server is taking about 40gb of space.  That is including all of my current apps saved in Mongo, settings, logs etc.  This does not include my data installs.

My system is 500gb total, but we do suggest the 1tb.  This is not the need for installing Alteryx, but for running some of the expected processes, keeping logs, and for Mongo persistance.  

That being said, 30GB is probably not going to do it, but make sure you are setting the install paths to the E drive to be sure.  I worry that even if you can get it installed on that size machine, you will not be able to run anything with a medium to large size process that needs the HD space for temp files while processing jobs.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
simon
11 - Bolide

Hey Scott, 

Hope all is well !

I was thinking more of a clean, brand new instance of alteryx server 11.7 on a dev box which would replicate our prod environment. Then restore a prod mongo db backup on dev and then do regression testing of our apps. Once done, I would abandon the dev server and then upgrade production. Unless there's a better way? 

I was able to start the alteryx installer and I wanted to install on local E drive with C drive having at 2.6GB free. But now server has only 4GB on RAM with even less available RAM so installer actually isn't doing anything. Now I am wondering bare minimum available memory to get Alteryx Server installed and up and running? Yeah, I know the tech specs of minimum of 16 GB...

/S

scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

That is pretty low specs to successfully do anything with server.  For what you are saying (I always recommend the tech specs of course), I would suggest at least 8gb to run everything, including mongo, Alteryx services, and windows services.  If you are doing replications, you will still need the HD size to handle your Mongo backup. 

doing backup and testing is a great idea, but you need the HD and RAM to do it successfully.  The installer might eventually finish, but it may take a long time to do anything without enough dedicated computer resources.  

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
simon
11 - Bolide

thanks Scott - makes sense. Hopefully I can get my hands on a server soon with at least 8 GB of RAM and 30/40 GB of free disk space :)